The Emperor and The Hanged Man, Part 1

After taking several trains and ferries, the Crusaders were minutes away from arriving in Calcutta, India. During the 20th century, Calcutta's population was 11 million and 2 million residents lived in stark poverty.

"Avdol," Joseph turned to the fortune-teller.

"The Indian leg of our trek is upon us at last." He nervously grinned, scratching the side of his chin. "And I'm a bit nervous. Enemy Stands are one thing but the reputation of India is what worries me the most. I heard that India is a place where people eat curry all the time, theft and get ill at any moment."

"I'm afraid I won't be able to handle the culture gap that well..." Polnareff said nervously.

Avdol chuckled, "Those are just inaccurate assessments."

Noriko crossed both her arms, "You're both over-exaggerating. It can't be that bad."

*&*&*&*&*

Boats and cars honked from every direction around the Crusaders as a giant crowd formed around them.

"Hey, give us a tip!"

"I'll hold that for you ma'am!"

"Need any anti-venom sir? You won't have any more stomach aches!"

"Let me show you a hotel!"

The Joestar group were in complete shock and speechless.

"N-No I don't need anything." Joseph responded kindly to one of the civilians.

"Ew! I stepped in cow shit!" Polnareff shouted.

"...Uhhh." Noriko took a step back as the men tried to approach her.

"You're such a beauty!"

"Please be my wife!"

Jotaro was surrounded by a group of children, they were pulling on his chain and jacket begging for money.

"Give us a tip sir!"

"You won't go to heaven if you don't tip us, mister!"

Polnareff yanked his luggage up in the air, "Get your goddamn snotty nose off my luggage!" He shouted at a little boy.

Joseph turned his head to the side to look at Avdol.

"Avdol! Is this how India is?!" He queried.

Avdol chuckled, "Why of course! Isn't it great? This is what makes the country a great place!"

*&*&*&*&*

They all managed to get through the giant crowd and went to a nearby restaurant. Once there, they were served a tea called Chai. Chai is a sweet drink made by boiling black tea, sugar, and ginger with milk. For one rupee (about fifteen-yen) will get you two cups.

"Mmm! This tea tastes so good!" Noriko squealed after taking a sip of her tea.

Joseph sighed in relief, settling his cup down, "Peace at last, I thought we weren't going to escape from all that commotion."

"Don't worry, just give it some time. Once you're accustomed to it, you'll understand the goodness and depth of this country." Avdol assured the group with a smile.

"I kinda like it here. It's pretty cool." Jotaro stated.

Joseph looked over at his grandson in disbelief. "Are you serious Jotaro?! Do you actually mean it?!"

Polnareff sighed and settled his cup of tea down. "Talk about culture shock..." He reached down and grabbed his luggage.

"I'll get used to it once I'm acclimated, huh?" He rose from his chair, placing the luggage over his shoulder. "Well, they do say humans adapt to their surroundings." He glanced at the waiter.