Halloween Hectics

Week 6

October is coming to an end as leaves fall and crunch under your feet, the weather gets chilly, and the holidays come rolling in. But specifically Halloween. The time of year when no one is who they say they are, kids stay up late on school nights, and people take candy from strangers. Sounds appealing, am I right?

Mika had already given Phoenix and Lana their characters, so they knew what to buy. Finding costumes for the kids and herself was a breeze, but for Bose on the other hand...he hated it. Halloween was just a day full of hyperactive children ruining their sleep schedules, obtaining cavities, and promoting stranger danger. He hasn't gone trick or treating since the incident with Mika, so he doesn't remember much from his past experiences or how much he might have actually loved the holiday.

"Mika, do I have to dress up?"

"Yes! The entire crew is doing it!"

"But Halloween isn't for someone like me. I'm more of a stay-home-and-read-a-book kind of guy. We could just give the squirts candy; it's basically the same thing!" Bose whined.

"Look at you already in character!" The princess joked.

Bose rolled his eyes and groaned while typing away at his desk. Mika smiles while strolling toward him, placing herself in his lap and wrapping her arms around his neck.

"I'm sorry, I was joking. If you really don't feel comfortable, then you don't have to dress up, or you can stay home, and the girls will be there with me to supervise the kiddos."

"You sure?"

"Positive. I want you to be happy, so if that means Halloween without you, so be it." Mika voiced.

Bose smiles as Mika pecks his cheek, gets up, and exits the room.

"That was easier than I thought it was going to be." Bose mumbles.

The boy's phone rang, showing the caller ID of his girlfriend's mother, Angela.

"Hello, Angela."

"Hi dear! I'm calling to see where Mika is."

"She actually just left the room; you couldn't reach her?" Bose questioned.

"I knew she wouldn't answer since she was occupied making this Halloween a day she'll never forget. Since it's the first one with the kids, and you being there will make her night." Angela stated.

Bose started to doubt his decisions. Was Bose that much of an essential piece in a perfect Halloween?

"What if I didn't want to go?"

"Knowing my daughter, she will respect your decision and say it's all good, but on the inside, she's hurting. Tonight is your first Halloween together in ten years, so it's important, especially to someone like her who has always thrived over the holidays. But that's irrelevant since you wouldn't miss out on such a memorable time."

Silence. Bose didn't know this meant so much to her.

"Right, dear?" Angela doubted.

"I might have already opted out."

The mother gasped. She was not expecting Bose to opt out of anything, especially if it included her daughter.

"Why?"

"Halloween is not for me anymore. I hate candy and dressing up, and I'm just getting used to favoring Addi and Atticus! I don't need any more kids bursting my bubble."