You're special

"I think I better go, and let you sleep for the rest of the night," Zayn said feeling inadequate.

"Erm... no. I...okay," Harry said. He didn't want to be alone, he didn't want him to leave. He needed him.

Zayn looked confused at Harry who was standing in the middle of the room.

"Erm... I..." Harry shook his head and without thinking he grabbed his hand. "Stay, please," he whispered and Zayn nodded.
                        *******

A few days later

"Mate, be careful. This lad is... mourning the death of his boyfriend," Niall said eating a slice of pizza that he brought to Zayn's dorm.

Niall is Zayn's friend from the UK. They met during a summer camp, they were both working to get some money during vacations and Zayn was spending that time with his father who lived in Bradford.

"I know, but ... he needs me, I mean, he needs a friend now," Zayn said sipping on his soda.

"But you do know that... he's not ready to have something with you,  don't you?" Niall said.

"Yes, I'm aware," Zayn said. He didn't exactly lie because he knew that. But he wants to be with Harry too, he wants to have at least a little piece of his heart.

Even if it means to wait until he's ready.

He's had a crush on Harry since the day he saw him at the entrance of the school.  He remembered everything about that day, Harry was with his mother and his sister, they were saying goodbyes and he could see his beautiful smile from miles away. Zayn was so distracted by him that he tripped with someone and dropped a box he was carrying.

After that, he was behind him in the orientation line that same day. And then in a support group for students with anxiety and other mental health struggles. And they just ran into each other from time to time but Harry was always with a brunette guy, Ezra.

"I hope so because I don't want to see you hurting man," Niall said. He knows that Zayn isn't a bad boy as people think. He's the type that wears his heart under his sleeve instead.

"Thanks, I know you care," Zayn said.

After that, they just talked about other things and Niall left. But what he said was torturing him.

"But you do know that... he's not ready to have something with you,  don't you?"

"Argh, I know, I fucking know, but I want to be with him, even though he just sees me as a friend," he said to himself looking at his dorm ceiling.
                           *******

It's been a month after Ezra's accident happened and, after that night Zayn spent with Harry he hasn't seen him. Just texting since he traveled to London to be with his family for a couple of weeks. They were worried about Harry's mental health and her sister came to see him and convinced him to travel back with her to see their parents.

Harry suffered from depression and some anxiety issues since he was in junior high.

His father lived by himself and he only wanted to know that he was okay after his best friend's loss.

One afternoon Zayn was coming out of the shower after a long shift in the cafeteria and he had the rest of the afternoon free, he was thinking of going to the library or taking a stroll through campus, finding a good tree, and sitting to read his favorite book.

But his phone chimed.

"H: Hey Z, wanna come and hang out? I'm back at my dorm,"