Princess

« - thank you susan, can you tell him to call me when he's home ? thank you again. yeah, you too, bye. » you said.

you hung up and sighed, looking at the telephone. you've tried to call billy three times, but he wasn't answering at work neither at home. where was he ?

you took your pack of cigarettes and sat in front of your house, looking at the sunset. you lit it up and observed the trees, the birds, the sky, the road. everything seemed ... worthless. you didn't know why, but you felt empty.
you wanted to be in eddie's arms, as much as you wanted to be in billy's. but you knew you had to make a choice.

suddenly, billy's camaro parked in front of your house. you didn't feel worried as hell anymore, and stood up to walk over to him. he got out of the car. he seemed upset, but didn't want to show it.

« - hey ! i tried to call at least three times, where were you ? » you asked
« - yeah, i loosed track of time, i needed to do something. » he replied before lighting up a cigarette.
« - like what ? » you asked
« - like ... dump heather, something like that. » he said and you smiled discreetly.

you two stood there, looking at each other. you wanted to hug him, kiss him, but you knew you shouldn't. the bruises on his face were still there, reminding you of last night.

« - about last night, i'm sorry. » you said feeling embarrassed.
« - it's okay. i'm the one who should apologize. »
« - is billy hargrove actually going to apologize ? » you giggled and he smiled a bit.
« - not fully, but yeah kinda. »

you laughed and he seemed still as upset as he was when he arrived. you approached your hand near his, and he watched you doing it, silently, before interlocking your fingers.

« - what is going on, billy ? » you asked softly.
« - i have this fucking family gathering, and i can't skip it. neil... he would kill me. and i'm not being sentimental or anything but i'm not leaving max alone in there. » he said.
« - what kind of family gathering ? » you asked
« - my cousin is getting married. »
« - but that's wonderful billy ! » you tried to make him think positively.
« - yeah, i'm just not that extatic thinking about spending this whole time with my dad who's going to try to make us act like we're a loving and caring family. » he frowned and took a hit of his cigarette.

you then thought of something. it maybe was silly but you knew it would help, and make this moment of billy's life less painful.

« - what if i come with you ? » you offered. he looked up and chuckled.
« - as what ? my ex girlfriend ? i don't quite catch the idea behind it to be honest y/n. »
« - as your girlfriend then, they don't have to know. »
« - you would actually do that for me ? » he asked and you smiled.
« - if i can help, of course. » you replied and he kissed your cheek softly.
« - thank you. » he whispered in your ear.

he would come pick you up at 6:30 pm, and you had to be well dressed. you were now kind of stressed out, but you were doing it to help billy.
you then called robin and she met you in starcourt a few minutes after.

« - so, you're back together ? » asked robin visibly not understanding the situation at all.
« - no we're not, i'm just ... going to pretend during the whole dinner. » you said
« - but why ? »
« - i'll be there for him, just like he was here for me. »
« - yeah, like when he fucked heather while you were literally drunk alone at a party ? » she ironically said.

you rolled your eyes. of course robin couldn't understand. billy did bad things but he never let you down when you needed him. he would always defend you, comfort you, with his own manner but he would always do it.

« - look, he just needs this. and it will be an opportunity for me to erase my doubts about him. » you replied while entering a clothes store that sold exactly what you were looking for.

lacey and floral button ups, ankle length skirts, white dresses, stilettos and mary-janes. you winced at the sight of pretty princesses closet but you needed to give a good first impression to his family.
it wasn't you-like at all. you felt trapped in this store, just like robin.

« - jesus, this store itches. » robin said scratching her neck.
« - i know, right ? » you agreed.

you didn't know what to choose to not look like a stranger dressed in someone she isn't. robin had an idea. she saw nancy passing by the store's entrance, maybe meeting some friends, and she ran over to her.
when nancy entered the store with robin, you understood why she would ask for her help.

« - okay girls, let me do my best. » nancy said smirking.

you went through all of the alleys, nancy explaining to you how you should stand, eat, talk and laugh at the dinner. she was a literal princess, and you needed her advices.

« - now, got to the dressing room and try on all of this. » she said pushing you towards the curtains.

you threw on what nancy told you to ; a white shirt tucked in a long baby blue skirt with a big white belt which sintched your waist perfectly. she also gave you some white lightly heeled stilettos. you looked at yourself in the mirror, not recognizing your own appearance. you looked like someone else, like a real preppy princess.

« - y/n ? does it fit ? let us see ! » said robin behind the curtain.

you got out of the dressing cabin and they smiled at you. nancy looked proud of what she picked and robin seemed surprised it fit you that well.

« - you look ... » she started
« - awful ? ridiculous ? like a stranger ? » you tried to guess
« - ... pretty. » she said with a light smile.

you thanked nancy and she frowned a second before running around the store and coming right back to you with something in her hands.

« - and here's the final touch, a pearls necklace ! now you look like a literal princess. » she said and you smiled.

you bought the outfit and went home with all the bags. you had written down on a paper all of the things you needed to remember. you were trying to learn them while your curlers were drying in your hair.