41

Please. Please.

Syn POV

Syn POV

I thought about running away after I pulled myself from the water. I tried to pretend that I didn't want the answers, that I didn't need the closure. That I could walk away from all of it, like I had before.

Elias was different. I think In the mess of this all, I have convinced myself it was. But either way, I couldn't simply pretend he didn't exist, pretend I didn't know his name. He had made sure he'd carved himself into the deepest parts of me and left hooks and daggers I couldn't pull out from my soul.

But the truth I'd never say aloud Is that I wanted to see him one more time. Even If he tried to kill me, even if id try to kill him back. If he called Silas? I'd slit his throat with this cold dagger in my hand, and see if that'd make this burning that wouldn't stop give relief.

It wasn't hard getting into the apartment, and surely it wouldn't be physically hard killing him if necessary seeing as he stumbled and took back liquor too quick, his eyes near bloodshot, a shaking mess. This wasn't the man that signed the papers. I wasn't sure where he'd went.

He didn't look cold, calculated, evil. He looked crazed, violent, shaken. His hair was still wet, he'd jumped into the water after me; the tips of its blackness was shiny with the waters, and his white shirt was a wash of water and blood.

Why would you follow me under? From the shadows watching him searching those waters—what were you looking for if not for me? Why?

There was blood everywhere, I was standing in it and so was he. It was everywhere. The room reeked of blood and liquor.

Id taken a look at the mess of a man he had made, and it reinstated the caution I had lost. Made me realize once more the danger and capability this man held.

The man long dead before us; Torn limb from limb, cut from the navel to the bottom of his chest. His heart on the floor beside him.

He knew I was there, he turned to the elevator as I slinked around, his body hardened and straightening as he turned almost slowly to look at me.

My knife raised I avoided his eyes for a moment and looked at his chest, but my eyes raised as he called out my name in a whisper.

"Syn." He said, his gaze tearing over my face. A look of disillusion, an unconscious unconvinced surprise like he wasn't sure if I was truly here. Like maybe I was a figment of his very imagination.

I said nothing as he looked at me, his hands by his side and he chuckled lowly.

When I finally let my gaze set upon his eyes, I watched as they reviled and watched and decided. They were anything but dark despite how grey and malicious they seemed.

One look into my eyes and it looked like he all but cracked inside, and it took a war in me not to splinter too.

"Here." He said, grabbing my forearm lighty and angling my dagger a little to the left. His touch sending fire down my skin. "At the heart flower." He whispered to me.