36

hell hath no fury like a woman scorned

Syn POV

"You called for me?" I said lowly In question, as I walked into his office, a man opening the door for me, my head turning over my shoulder as he quickly closed it behind me. Enclosing is both in this small room of his.

"Ah yes." He said, as he looked at me, and stood up. Pushing back from his desk, as I looked around the room. "I wanted to show you something," he said, as he walked towards one of the many book shelves that lines the walls.

His hand reaching out as he picked up a framed photo, and clutched it in his hands for a moment, his eyes studying it lowly, before he turned his gaze up to me.

"Your mother." He said, as he held the photo a second longer, before he held the glass frame out for me. Willing me to take it.

I sucked in a breath, hesitant. I didn't move for a second, not an inch.

He noticed, and took a few steps away, careful as he felt better not to get too close. With shaded eyes I reached out, taking it from his hands. My eyes shifted over him, the dapper suit and clean shoes.

His eyes, a perfectly planned out calm sweeping over them. Why is it, he always looks like he has something hiding behind those eyes of his?

With a small sigh I looked at it, at the woman in the photo. At her long dark hair and tanned skin, eyes a deep brown that looked like mine. A smile that took a knife in my chest, as I reminded myself she was dead.

I took my finger gently over the glass, stroking her cheek as her youthful face echoed a familiarity that bled into my own features.

"You look just like her." He said, tilting his head at he looked at me. Squinting slightly as if he was trying to imagine it in his head.

"She is beautiful." I said with a small chuckle. And she was. She was—Her eyes looked like mine, and in them, even in this old photo, I saw that swirls of power and promises she held inside them.

"She was." He said, as he walked back to the desk, his fingers tracing the edge of the wood as he made his way back to the chair. "Keep it." He said, nodding towards the frame I clutched in my hands, as he sat back down and leant forward.

I scrunched my nose, as Justice' words echoed in my head. "Thank you." I said, nodding lowly as I took a step forward. "Was this all?" I asked.

And he hesitated for a second, his eyes finding mine as he brought his hands together onto the desk. "No." He said, pursing his lips. Eying me lowly. "Sit down," he told me.

"I'll stand." I said, and his eye almost twitched at my refusal.

"You will want to sit down Syn." He said, a little more demanding this time.