𝐕

TW: Mean parents and underage drinking

[Matilda - Harry Styles]
1:40 ─〇───── 2:13
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

Beverly's POV

Dinner was fine.

Like it has been for the past 12 years. And now that I'm 17, it has gotten worse. For the entire meal, mother and father ask Howard how his business is going. Howard talks about him using his money from his other job to start his business. About how he is starting to hire people and having to constantly write document after document to start it up. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely proud of him. But, sometimes I just want my parents to be that invested in something I do.

After placing my empty plate in the sink, I run up the stairs and towards my bedroom. Just before shutting my door behind me, I peek my head down the staircase, seeing Howard and my father talking. Mother must still be washing the dishes.

"Can you guys please not disturb me? I'm studying for a test I have next week, it's really important." I shout down.

"That's fine." Father looks up from his conversation with Howard.

Finally, I shut my door behind me, locking it. At the sound of the click, I grab my sweater, wrapping it around my body. It warms my arms, slowly letting the goosebumps fade out. I walk over to my window, opening it enough for my body to fit through. I crawl through the frame, holding onto the vines that scatter all over the walls of the house. With one hand on the stalks, I close my window, leaving a small gap for me to sneak back in through.

Now out of my house, I hide on the side of the building, waiting for my mother to exit the kitchen so she can't see me. When she does, I sprint to the other side of the street. I stroll down the pavement, making it to the street light. With the yellow light illuminating the night, I can see the faint movement from down the road. Two young bodies ride their bikes towards me.

"Hey, Bev!" Steve calls out.

"Shh. You're gonna get me caught." I wave my hand frantically.

"Sorry." He whispers. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah."

"Hop on." Bucky gestures to the back of his bike.

I sit behind Bucky on his bike, wrapping my arms around his waist and holding onto him tightly. He picks his foot up off the ground and peddles down the street, away from my house. As he rides, I turn my head, looking at the scenery. I see the once-fall leaves on the trees begin to fade into a deep green colour. Flowers start to blossom underneath the trees, sitting beside the bark. The moon shines down on the ground, glazing on the puddles and creating a white cast over the water.

We pass the streets full of houses, all of them finishing their dinner. The families have quality time together, enjoying each other's company. I wonder what that's like. We bike past a sign, stuck into the mud. It reads "Brooklyn Park", the wood slowly turning black as the rain and snow mould into the cracks.