𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

TW: Sexism and war

TW: Sexism and war.

[O Children - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds]
1:40 ─〇───── 2:13
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

Beverly's POV

Steve and I wait behind the curtain, in our uniforms. He is wearing a dark blue, white, and red latex uniform, a frown on his face. I'm wearing a dark blue and white uniform, a red hat over my designed hair. I brush any dirt off my clothes, getting ready for our performance. Steve waits beside me, constantly looking at the director on the side of the stage.

Music begins to play through the speakers, the curtain rising and revealing the large crowd. They all fall silent, watching us as we walk on stage. We stand centre stage, nervously waiting for our queue. The queue appears, and girls in matching uniforms dance onto the stage. A man dressed as Hitler walks onto the stage, an angry expression all over his face.

Steve grabs him by the collar of his shirt, pulling him closer. I hand him a sword, and Steve plunges it into the man's side. Not a single sound comes from the crowd, not any cheering or whooping. Instead, they begin to laugh, some of them pointing at us and shouting.

"Why don't you show us what's underneath the costume, sweetheart!" A man shouts.

I halt my movements, looking over at Steve. He looks angry, but not as pissed as I am. I roll my eyes, continuing our routine. The man drops to the floor, groaning and dropping his weapon. Steve throws the fake sword into the crowd, men moving out of the way for it to drop onto the floor. A member of the crowd jumps onto another man's shoulders, his back facing us. He drops his pants, mooning us and the rest of the crowd. Everyone laughs, interrupting the routine.

The music stops, and the curtain falls back down. I take off my hat, throwing it on the stage in anger. Steve claps my shoulder, guiding me off the stage. We walk together off the stage, towards the dressing room. All the other dancers look disappointed, already throwing away their uniforms and equipment.

Steve and I enter our shared dressing room, shutting the door behind us. I sit on the couch, Steve slouching on the floor, leaning on the wall beside the door. He leans his head in his hands, sighing loudly. I look over at him somberly, wishing I could do something to help.

"Steve," I speak up. "Why are we doing this?"

"We need to, you know that." He murmurs.

"This isn't what we were supposed to do and you know it!" I preach. "Abraham didn't want this for us. He said that we have more potential in us."

The door opens, revealing a happy Peggy. She shuts the door, leaning on it with her hand behind her back. Steve and I look over at her, confused about why she is so happy. No one is signing up for the war and our plan is an absolute failure. She walks over to us, sitting on the couch beside me.

"It finally worked!" She beams.

"What worked?" I ask.

"We finally got you two the job we were aiming for. We want you to train and inspire soldiers into fighting for the war harder."

"Oh my, god." I stand from the couch.

"That's amazing." Steve sits up.

"Training starts soon, be prepared." She smiles, walking over to the door. "I'll meet you outside, there is a car waiting outside for us."

She walks out of the door, leaving a very excited pair of us. We rush into grabbing our things, shoving all of our items into our bags and zipping them up. before we leave, we get changed back into our clothes, placing our uniforms back into the bottom of our bags. We follow Peggy through the door and building, out of the place. We join her in the car, waiting for the driver to begin driving through the streets and away from the disaster that was today.

———————————————
I'm so sorry for how short this chapter is.