𝐗𝐗

TW: Training for war and slight discrimination

[Ho Hey - The Lumineers]
1:40 ─〇───── 2:13
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

Beverly's POV

The truck bounces as it drives through the rocky roads, towards the large bridge. Shouting echoes through the woods, the whistling of the trees blowing the green leaves across the floor. Peggy sits next to me, the driver being familiar with her. The scenery disappears the closer we get to the training station, the shouting getting louder.

The car stops, allowing Peggy and I to jump off and watch the dust fly as the car speeds off. Soldiers train around us, and a commander circles them as he watches. Peggy guides me over to a table, water, food, and documents displayed all over. Abraham and a man in a dark blue blazer and hat, badges adoring the material. He concentrates on the soldiers, a permanent frown on his face.

"Beverly, it's great to see you again." Abraham pulls me into a hug.

"Hello, Abraham." I hug him back.

"This might actually be bearable now that you're here. Commander isn't the best company." He whispers.

I chuckle beside him, seeing the commander side-eye us and the frown deepen on his face after hearing us. I stop laughing, turning my attention back to the soldiers. They are sweating through the sunlight, all the hard training putting a strain on them. Steve stands at the front of the line, his tiny body standing out like a sore thumb from the rest of the soldiers. He wears a helmet on his head, and the strap is not wrapped around his chin properly as it is too big. I smile at him, proudly and happily.

"Come on, men! This isn't a game, this is war. Put your back into it." The commander shouts.

The men work harder, more sweat breaking out on their hairlines. They are huffing and puffing as they do, their lungs slowly losing breath. Peggy stands next to me, gazing at the men. A few of them halt their movements momentarily, looking up at us. A few of them even have the nerve to smirk at us. But, we both don't entertain it. All I want to do to them is gag, to be honest.

"Are you sure about the little boy, Abraham?" The commander speaks up.

"Absolutely." Abraham smiles at me.

"He hasn't been showing me any signs of being worthy."

"Yet," Abraham smirks.

The commander rolls his eyes, looking back at the soldiers. My jaw hardens, the bones slightly cracking with how hard it is set in place. I prevent myself from jumping on him and tearing him a new one. I don't want to lose my job or harm him really. Maybe if he opened his puny mind for a second, he could see that people have hearts and brains, and they are more powerful than any muscle.

"I really don't see what you do in him. I mean come on, he can barely do a plank for longer than 10 seconds." The commander groans.

"I see what I need to see. He may not have the physical strength, but he has all the mental strength that I need." Abraham defends.

"Mental strength? We aren't going to win the war with mental strength, doctor."

I roll my eyes, them going so far back that I can practically see my brain. I want to fight back and argue against him, but I bite my tongue. At least Abraham is defending Steve. Or I don't know what I would do. Even Peggy looks annoyed by him. She has recently become protective over Steve. Whenever someone says anything against Steve at the compound, she gets on the defence. She is slowly becoming more of a protector, even getting closer to my level.

"Yeah, well, we'll see if he's really worthy." The commander whispers to himself.

He strolls over to a tower of crates, moving the straw out of the way and opening the lid. He rummages through the crate, pulling out a small black item. His large hands wrap around it, making it impossible to see what it is. he stands back beside Abraham, pulling a lid off it and rolling it on the floor, towards the training soldiers.

"Grenade!" He shouts.

The soldiers run away from the moving grenade, tripping over their own feet and each other. They all shout, screaming as they take cover away from the grenade. It stops moving, standing in the middle of the field. Steve jumps on top of the grenade, folding his body into itself, and covering the grenade. He screams for everyone to get back, to take cover, and stay away. The grenade doesn't blow, nothing happens.

I stand still, watching the commander become increasingly angrier the longer Abraham smiles. It clicks in my mind, making the smile on my face turn into a full-on smirk. It was all a test, and Steve passed it. He may not be physically strong, but he has all the courage a soldier would need and more.

"alright everyone, take a break." The commander roans, walking away.

Abraham follows the commander, a proud and smug look on his face. Peggy smiles at me, thinking exactly what I am thinking. That we are both incredibly proud of Steve. She follows Abraham and the commander, joining in on their conversation. The commander looks annoyed, obviously hating that he was proven wrong. I stroll over to Steve, smiling at him. He stands in the middle of the field, alone and brushing off the dirt on his training suit.

"Oh my, Steve! Well done." I pull him into a hug.

"What was that?" He asks.

"A test. The commander didn't believe that you were worthy of the experiment. But you proved him wrong."

"I did?"

"Yeah, of course, you did. I'm so proud of you."

———————————————