𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

TW: Discussions of war and sadness

[Yes To Heaven - August]
1:40 ─〇───── 2:13
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

Beverly's POV

Sat at my desk, alone in the house, I go through my mail recently dropped off at the front door. With all of them addressed to my name, I tear open the envelopes, looking over the information. Each of them has multiple photographs of apartments around Brooklyn, all the information needed underneath. I scan all of it, admiring the photographs of each apartment. I start to decide which one I would like to visit next, knowing that I need to move out of the family home soon.

A loud knock at the front door echoes through the house, interrupting my inspection. I stand from my desk, walk through my door and down the stairs. Behind the front door, hiding through the foggy glass is a small figure. I open the door and see Steve standing in front of me.

"Steve, hi. Come in." I step aside.

"Hi." He walks inside.

"What are you doing here?"

He pulls me into a hug, a wide smile on his face. I crouch my eyebrows together, confused by his sudden excitement. Recently, he has been a little down. The small things that would remind him of Bucky and make him sad are turning into big things that are making him depressed. He's been more reserved, quiet, and lonely. This sudden happiness is good yet weird. He breathes heavily into my neck, clearly having run all the way here.

"Why the sudden excitement, Steve?" I ask.

"It happened. It finally happened." He pulls from the hug.

"What happened?"

"They accepted me to fight in the war." He beams.

Nerves bubble up inside me, my entire body freezing with fear. I step back from him, looking up at his face. The once wide smile slowly fades, his face forming a concerned expression. My lips begin to quiver, and me having to bite them to stop the movement. I scan his face, suddenly scared that I won't be able to see it again. First Bucky, now Steve.

"Really?" I whisper.

"Really, Bevvy." He walks closer to me, holding my arms.

"Do you have to, though? What if it doesn't work out? I might already have lost Bucky, and I can't lose you too." I begin to cry.

He rubs my arms, looking sorrowfully down at me. I jump into his arms, my face smushed against his chest as I hug him tightly. He wraps his arms around my body, holding me securely. I cry into him, my tears staining his shirt. But, he doesn't care. He holds me firmly in his arms, swaying our bodies as he does.

"I will be trained like every other man before I go out on the front lines, I promise." He speaks up. "But please, Bevvy. I need to do this."

I wail into his body, holding him tightly. I mask in his natural smell, trying to lock it into my memory. I know that no matter what I say, he will still go out and fight for our country. He was brought onto the earth to fight, and that he will do. My opinion matters to him more than I'll ever know, so he asks for permission.