Chapter 3

Espresso's Pov

"Would you like some cupcakes?" Madeleine's first aunt, aka Blackberry Cream Madeleine's first guardian, asked me kindly.

"That is alright," I declined politely, quite full from the treats and food the 3 aunts have prepared for us already, "Thank you for welcoming me to eat at your home."

"No problem sweetie," The second aunt giggled, "Feel free to come any time. You and Madeleine are such a cute couple!"

"Stop teasing him," The third aunt said, and I blushed, "Well then, we'll get going and leave you two to chat for a bit!"

With that, the 3 aunts bustled out of the kitchen talking about having a vacation at this beach. Across me, Blackberry was finishing off a blueberry scone. I patiently took a sip of my coffee, but my curiosity was getting the better of me and I was getting impatient.

I set my coffee down and she looked up and grinned, "Haha, whoops sorry 'Spresso! It's been a while since they've made me these types of scones."

"No problem," I reassured, "But may we begin talking about your 'complex' family?"

She nodded, "It's kinda confusing so if you want to memorize it you can write it down."

I conjured out my phone and said, "I'll record if that's okay."

"Mhm, that's fine by me," She hummed, "So let's start off with Madeleine's closest family members."

"Madeleine has 2 siblings: A younger sister who is 20 and an older brother who is 25. I can talk shit about them all day, but I'll spare you," She started, "But to summarize it, they're snobby and annoying."

"I see," I said, and nodded for her to continue.

Surprisingly this information was easy to process. I hope it stays this way, although some extra information can always be useful. I do want to understand why she thinks that way, but I think I should prioritize learning a little about the rest of the family first.

"So Madeleine's stupidly snobby mother is sister to Clotted's mother who is somewhere not even Clotted knows. I've only met her twice. Madeleine's father is Clotted's father's brother as well. My aunts are their father's younger sisters. Fun fact, they're triplets," She continued and I listened along as I also recorded it, "As ya know, I'm adopted. Uhh.. that's pretty much all."

"Alright, thank you for informing me," I said, but I still wondered what the family situation is like on the inside.

"Since Madeleine's not here yet, I'm just gon' rant a bit if that's okay," She requested, "Or we can play some soccer or Jeet Kune Do."

Soccer and Jeet Kune Do was not my cup of coffee, and I much rather listen to her rant on possibly her family situation, so I said, "I do not mind if you rant at all."

"Great!" Blackberry exclaimed, "So I will never change my mind when I say that I despise Madeleine's siblings, parents, and uncle."

My ears perked up in interest as Blackberry continued, "Clotted's father, Custard, is so damn unnecessarily strict. If Clotted isn't the best or improving a lot, he gets angry and yells at him. He was the one who separated Clotted Cream and his mother, not allowing them to see each other unless Clotted is successful which is wrong. I don't interact with Custard a lot and he stays in his manor plotting how to get more money and success. In fact, I bet he only comes to parties or celebrations if it will be useful to him somehow or if it's for his family. I honestly believe he just doesn't want to look bad."