Chapter 7

Noones Pov

Madeleine was sitting on the stool beside the sidewalk, humming the happy tune, Chouchou. His parents didn't punish him yesterday or realize he used magic to clean the dirt off him!

Well, it wasn't he who used magic, it was the mysterious boy in a dark cloak. Madeleine clutched his little white pouch to his chest. Inside the pouch held several gold and silver coins. He figured the boy could buy things with the coins since he looked like he needed them. Also since he didn't know what the boy liked.

A cookie passed by Madeleine and he stopped humming. He stood up and tapped the bypasser's back since he couldn't reach the shoulder. The cookie turned around and gave him an annoyed expression.

"Uhm, what time is it?" Madeleine asked.

The cookie's expression changed to sweetness when noticing it was Madeleine, and they replied pleasantly, "It's 7:05 Pm. By the way, be a dear and tell your parents I helped you and I'm needing some jewels at the moment. Okay, dear?"

"Mhm, yeah yeah, okay," Madeleine nodded dismissively as the anxiousness inside him grew.

The cookie walked away and Madeleine glanced around. The skies were turning darker and the sun touched the trees of the forest. He knew he'd have to go home in an hour or he could get caught. If only I came earlier Madeleine thought with regret.

He knew he was supposed to arrive at 5, he even suggested it without giving the other boy time to protest, and yet he was late. But he realized last second that he could show the cloaked boy a cool place if they met later, like around 6 or 7.

Plus, he didn't exactly have another option since his parents made him complete a vigorous training course that lasted longer than the previous ones. It wore him out and his foot felt slightly sore.

Footsteps approached young Madeleine and his ear's twitched. He turned and to his delight, saw the same cloaked figure as yesterday approach him.

Madeleine's Pov

I stood up and the contents of my pouch nearly tumbled out. I mumbled oops and tightened the ribbon fastening the gift.

"You better explain why you arrived two hours later than what you said," The boy's voice said coldly and I felt a shiver go down my spine.

"S-sorry!" I squeaked, looking down and fumbling with the little brown bow, "I had extra training today."

"Then perhaps you should've scheduled a later time!" The boy scolded and my guilt worsened, "Argh, just what did you want to give me?"

"U-uhm, right, here!" I exclaimed, almost forgetting the gift that I held.

I shoved the pouch into the boy's chest. He made a slight oof sound and he caught the bag before it could fall onto the dirt below. Oh no, I didn't mean to do that! I thought. I hope he isn't madder than he was...

"What is this?" The boy tsked, opening it and peering inside, "Do you still believe I'm a peasant cleaning wizard?"

"N-no!" I protested, my heart sinking at the words.

"How arrogant, but thank you," The boy said, putting away the pouch into his cloak, "Is that all you wanted to say?"

I wasn't trying to flex, I don't like doing that! I thought upset. Did I seem arrogant? When I played with those other kids, did I seem like I made fun of them when I wore those clothes and shared my few toys?