Chapter 14

Madeleine's Pov (When he was younger)

"He's old enough not to have a nanny caring for him 24/7, Lemon Cheesecake," My mother snapped and I covered my mouth in shock, "Or are you against my word?"

"Of course not, Lady Strawberry Vannila," Nanny said quickly.

I quivered, trying not to make a sound that will get me discovered by my parents who stood in their office. They'll be furious if they discovered that I was hiding inside the small closet of the office. The look of disappointment on Nanny's face will hurt me more, and she'll be punished!

"Not to worry, you won't get fired," My father added as an afterthought, "You'll still care after Madeleine as well, but don't you tend to his matters that are insignificant."

"Make sure he doesn't die, sneak out, miss any lessons, and isn't hanging out with filthy commoners again," Strawberry Vanilla finished.

"Yes, my lady, master," I heard Nanny say quietly.

"When he's out training, help the other maids. Maybe the newer ones that are stupid and fumbly," Cream Madeleine said, "Now, get out."

I felt my shoulders shake furiously as anger bubbled over me like a volcano. How could they speak like that so casually to Nanny? I thought upset. Nanny won't ignore me... right?

After an hour of hiding in the closet nervously waiting for my father to finish his paperwork so that I could sneak away - Ew, who likes paperwork?! - I got my answer from Nanny.

She won't change, we just have to be more careful now.

I'm glad.

~~~~

"Now I'm not so sure," I murmured, gliding my hand across the fountain.

No-one Pov (With Latte)

Almond crossed his fingers and twiddled his thumbs. A habit he had when he was nervous or upset. Latte sat across him from the police table, waiting for him to say something to breathe the uneasy silence. Plus, it felt like she was being interrogated and treated like a liked criminal.

"Have... have you seen him? Rougefort?" Almond finally said, his voice sounding desperately hopeful against his tired face.

"I haven't, Almond, has something happened?" Latte asked gently, "He may just be doing another break-in after a jewel that has caught his eyes."

"LATTE! IT'S BEEN TWO WEEKS SINCE I LAST SAW HIM!" Almond yelled and Latte flinched from the sudden outburst of the usually calm police detective, "He never gets caught or can't get out of a situation with his sleazy tactics! He never forgets to send his weekly damn flirty letters! NEVER!"

Two weeks? Latte thought, concern filling her mind, Wait, flirty letters? Arghh I want to tease him but this isn't the time-

"That is unusual, but he couldn't have gotten caught. He's the best thief in the history of earth bread!" Latte reasoned, feeling a weird tingle at the back of her neck as she complimented him secretly, "He could just be far away with no phone signal."

"He could have texted me first, and I've already checked. There's no gem worth stealing that is in a faraway populated with a bad phone signal," Almond said miserably, clutching his hair so hard it threatened to pull out, "If something happened to him Latte, I-I don't know what I'd do."