Chapter 26

𝙲𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚝𝚍𝚘𝚠𝚗: 2 𝚍𝚊𝚢𝚜

Espresso's Pov

The plant I was examining had a peculiar pink tinge to its white delicate petals. It was a flower I discovered cowering away from the sun in the center of a rose bush. I hadn't seen it before, so it piqued my interest, although it was a pain when I tried to grab it. I couldn't use my magic since it posed a significant risk to set the forest on fire, and I didn't have anything that resembled shears.

I couldn't figure out what the flower did or what it was called, but perhaps Herb had an idea. I could ask him. In fact, I could ask him today!

I stood up eagerly while delicately holding the flower in the palm of my han-

"ESSY!!" Madeleine called loudly, making me almost drop the flower.

"What is it?" I snapped, carefully sealing the flower into a small glass case.

"Do you wanna explore the Republic together?" He asked, a little too eagerly, "You've never been to the Republic, right? Or maybe you did, but 12 years ago?"

"What are you talking about?" I said. 12 years ago.. that's oddly specific.

"Anyways, I walked around the market center which caused me to bump into your toxic siblings without them recognizing who I was less than a week or so ago," I continued, scrunching up my nose at the foul memory, "I've explored every part of there already."

"Okay.. but what about the outskirts where more commoners reside? Ooh! Or maybe Choco Mud Town?" Madeleine suggested instead, plopping himself onto the bed, "Come on, wouldn't that be fun?"

"No thank you," I said, rejecting that idea instantly.

Who in their right mind would trudge through mud, (Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating that part) where the lowest thieves and criminals prowl for their next prey?  I thought in my head bitterly.

"Bu-"

"I'd prefer to continue examining this unique plant," I said firmly, "I don't have any motivation to go somewhere I dislike."

"Pleaseee," Madeleine begged, and I shook my head.

"Pleaasseeee-"

I turned around from the hotel's desk and glared at him icily, imagining he was a pesky enemy. A damn cute pesky enemy.

He groaned and fell back with an exaggerated sigh. I rolled my eyes and looked at the orange plant I had also found next. It was an orange tiger plant. It helped replace some or all of the animal's blood which was slightly related to tigers when it was required in an experiment, if used correctly.

"Essy.." Madeleine moaned as I sealed the orange tiger plant away and fell back in the hotel's swivel chair with a sigh, "I have something to confess."

I swivelled the chair around to face him, slightly curious, slightly anxious.

"Speak up then," I said, and with a swish of my hand, I sent him levitating to me.

"Uhh Essy, please put me down," Madeleine said, his feet kicking blanking in the air.

I dropped him onto my lap and a bit of pink grew on Madeleine's face. I'll say, he's not exactly light with his muscles and it was usually the other way around.

"What are you going to confess?" I hissed, grabbing his cheeks with one hand until we were inches apart.

"Okay! Okay!" It's just that I've never really visited the Republic," Madeleine explained with a rush of breath, "I could only go to rich places and I got homeschooled, but I did sneak to the park with the poorer kids whenever I could."