Chapter 33

Espresso's Pov

"It appears to be... stunning," I said slowly, choosing my words carefully as I inspected the Ancient shard stone.

"Now that you've taken a peek, why doon't we head back?" Hershey Le Blanc cheerfully said, and I reluctantly turned away from the artifact. "I'm starving for some of Caramel Machiatto's signature ramen."

Now that caught my attention.

"Caramel Machiatto? As in Chocolate Machiatto's father?" I blinked, surprised, but quickly changed my expression to neutral.

"Chocolate Machiatto?" Hershey Le Blanc looked at me confused, and for a moment, I thought I was wrong.

"U-uhm, she is Caramel Machiatto's daughter," Labereca clarified, then turned to Hershey Le Blanc, "You know, the little girl helping around the restaurant from time to time."

"Huh? Oh right, I didn't know her name, my bad," Hershey Le Blanc shrugged.

"Never mind that I was simply curious. We should get going," I said dismissively, turning around with a sweep of my coat's tail.

I glanced at the stone once more before exiting the underground chamber, following the librarians. It would be more efficient if I returned to grab the stone at night. I can blast the door open, snatch the ancient shard, and make a break for it. Even if an alarm sounds, I'll easily break out of any trap, and then I'll be long gone.

And if anyone tried to stop me... I'll kill them, I thought, staring at Labereca's and Hershey Le Blanc's backs, defensiveness and open for me to plunge a knife through if I wanted to. Hershey Le Blanc and Fondue might be cautious, but they're still lax.

Clearly, these librarians had no experience in war or assassinations. They don't have to either. The only issues are tiny disputes and their ridiculous research. In fact, no one in this town seemed like they had to worry about dying the next day or dealing with pesky cookies and tasks or dangerous missions.

I gritted my teeth, irritated at the leisure they'd been handed, even if their town wasn't a kingdom like the Hollyberry kingdom.

Well, if I had to choose, I wouldn't want to be like them anyway. They reside in a small town their whole lives, unlike I, who have visited too many places, even if it was usually only for missions. They appeared weak and were a shame to the ancient coffee cookies and made pathetic progress in certain areas, unlike me.

There's Chocolate Machiatto, my inner voice reminded me in my mind.

Ah right, Chocolate Machiatto was an exception. She understood that sleep wasn't as important as some cookies claimed it to be. In addition, she self-taught herself to battle and use magic. Her potential and behaviour were intriguing, unlike numerous cookies I've met.

Since I'm choosing to return to the ancient soul shard later tonight, I can inform Chocolate Machiatto to pack her bags and be prepared to move. I can bring her to the Cookies of Darkness and Dark Enchantress's castle. The journey will take longer, but surely Chocolate Machiatto can help rid any obstacles on the way back with me.

I knew Dark Enchantress denied countless cookies, mainly those who were criminals when they came to her and begged to be a part of her masterful plan. Craftfal criminals who were more well known, weren't too weak, and were tied closely to the criminal world were sent back to wherever they came from and became our allies. Although, in reality, they were more like pawns we could use to cause more chaos and spread the word.

Other cookies who didn't have ties to influential figures or were weak weren't so lucky and were immediately killed. Their bodies are turned into food for the cake monsters, or if the bounty on their head is high enough, they're handed to the syndicate that wants them dead or alive. Traitors who tried to snoop around the castle or replace one of the Cookies of Darkness members were sent to the basement, where they were tortured for information or massacred.