Chapter 4

Espresso's Pov

"So, tell me a bit more about you Espresso," Madeleine's mother, Strawberry Vanilla Madeleine suggested from across me, "What job or work do you do?"

"I conduct experiments and research," I replied, trying not to act too nervous, "Sometimes I help battles, but most battles have declined now as the war between Dark Enchantress is over."

I was currently sitting with Madeleine's family and having a 'kind' chat to know each other. His parents sat across me and Madeleine with Madeleine's sister at his side of the table and his brother at mine. I was grateful for this seating arrangement as this way I wouldn't have to deal with Saphire touching my leg from beneath the table and I could intertwine my fingers with Madeleine's.

Saphire continuously glanced my way and then to Madeleine's before to the food as if she was jealous. She did hit on me in the city square after all. It appeared that Madeleine's parents haven't noticed yet.

Damien on the other kept looking my way as well but didn't stare at Madeleine. Instead, he seemed as if he was deeply thinking which worried me a bit. From the way Blackberry described the sibling jewels, they weren't very bright or just didn't like thinking so seriously. Still, can't judge a book by its cover, and that's why I'm a bit worried...

...like how all the past mistakes I made with them be repeated...

.. I pushed my thoughts back down in my mind and focused on the situation in front of me. Beside me, Madeleine clasped my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. I squeezed back, happy he was there for me.

"What kind of research," Madeleine's father, Cream Madeleine, questioned.

"I research artifacts and ways to improve magic as well as ways to create new spells," I answered, "As well as anything another cookie requires help researching as long as it is reasonable."

"Do you lack money?" Strawberry Vanilla Madeleine asked, looking my suit up and down which cost a reasonable $104.

"No, I have a decent amount of money," I said calmly.

"Is that so?" She said, sounding almost disappointed, "Do you like jewellery?"

"My apologies, but not really," I said, confused about why she was bringing jewellery into this conversation.

"What do you like then?" She asked with more faked sweetness this time, "Why don't you list a few?"

"I enjoy coffee, books for research, sugar donuts, Mha, this cool anime I started called Detective Conan even if I don't look like an anime fan, and materials," I listed, "I don't require anything fancy as I find them unnecessary and wastes space."

"Ah, well how many coffee drinks, books, sugar donuts, or anime episodes do you need in order to stay away from Madeleine?" She said innocently, clasping her hands in front of her, "Whatever the price is, name it."

I stared at her, finding her words absurd. Did she seriously just say to my face to get lost after she pays me? How ridiculous.

Besides me, Madeleine said in a warning tone, "Mother.."

"Let him decide," Cream Madeleine cut in.

"I do apologize but love cannot be sold," I scoffed, losing my temper at this snobby light-magic addict family, "Not to mention, I can conjure my own perfected coffee any time and I don't need to eat sugar donuts every day. That's how you get obese and sick of the flavour. If I want books, which I don't currently, I'll seek them myself. Lastly, I brought all the anime episodes already."