Chapter 39

No'ones Pov (With Almond)

The sun was still in the sky, but it was dipping lower. Constantly, it popped into and away from view, blocked by the tall trees and plants. In 2 hours or so, the night will arrive. To Almond, that should be plenty of time to catch Affogato.

Almond wasn't pleased at all. He wasn't planning to chase after the criminal in the first place. He was supposed to be dealing with another criminal back at the party and saving Rougefort. He also didn't trust Latte being alone, even if she technically was surrounded by aristocrats. Custard couldn't do anything directly.

His face heated up with embarrassment as he recalled how naturally he called her babe. It had slipped out his mouth, and Almond only realized now how it sounded.

"God..." Almond groaned. His heart was beating wildly, but he didn't know if it was because he was sprinting.

He hated worrying about how awkward talking to Latte would be now. Not to mention, how would his daughter take it? He had been too preoccupied with his job lately to see how Walnuts had been feeling these weeks.

Maybe she didn't hear me. Almond thought, his head throbbing. He refocused on using his ability to reveal the recent footsteps on the grass and dirt. I can't think about that right now!

Almond glanced behind him as he sensed other presences were... but maybe he imagined it? There was no sign of anyone else there, no footsteps, suspicious shadows, or anything. Or perhaps it was an animal?

The footprints on the ground became less faded with each step, meaning Almond was slowly catching up to Affogato. After a few more minutes of running, a figure came into view. Almond squinted, recognizing Affogato struggling to run because of his robe and fancy boots.

Seeing Affogato so close, Almond pushed himself harder. He broke through the opening soon after, closing in on Affogato. Almond grinned, realizing Affogato was not trapped between him and the edge of one of the many cliffs of the Republic. Below this cliff were sharp rocks that looked like the giant sharp teeth of a lion.

"Turn around, hands up!" Almond yelled, fishing the handcuffs out of his coat's pocket, his left hand ready to pull out his gun, "You're coming with me."

Affogato didn't respond, making Almond's hand dip further into the pocket with his gun.

"I said-"

Affogato abruptly turned around, slamming the tip of his staff into the dirt ground, causing it to slightly crack. The staff and his eyes glowed sinisterly. In an instant, Almond's body froze, paralyzed.

'Why did you just have to follow me when it's clear I want to be left alone?" Affogato hissed, his hands clenching.

Almond gritted his teeth in pain. His head was thudding like he was deep under water pressure. His heart felt squeezed, and it was slowly getting harder to breathe. It was like he was being poisoned and dying.

Affogato stared down at the detective in annoyance. Taking a step forward-

"AHHRGH!" A sharp scream erupted from Affogato as an arrow flew out of nowhere, piercing his forearm. His eyes widened, his face paling, and he nearly dropped his staff.

Immediately, Almond was freed from the spell. He collapsed forward, coughing. Affogato whimpered in pain, glaring at the forest. He stumbled back right as a second arrow flew out, stabbing the earth by his feet and narrowly missing his leg.

"Who did that?!" Affogato demanded before he froze, recognizing the arrow made in the Dark Cacoa castle.

Two cookies emerged from the forest, revealing themselves. The ones who were trailing Almond were...