Chapter 18

No'ones Pov

"Do you, do you still love me?" Espresso repeated when no reply came from the Paladin.

"Of course I do," Madeleine said.

Silence.

Madeleine looked up from the ground when no sound came from his lover to see Espresso packing his things into his shrinkable suitcases.

"I do, of course, I love you!" Madeleine shouted firmly, snatching away Espresso's shirt he was tucking away in panic, "I'm not angry at you either!"

Espresso glared at Madeleine, unsure if he should feel relief or disbelief.

Finally, he spoke, "My apologies, perhaps I have misheard."

"No, you didn't, my dear boyfriend!" Madeleine objected, his voice begging but also with growing annoyance.

"So then explain," Espresso said, his voice hinting at bits of cold anger.

"Okay! I was going to anyways," Madeleine said, clenching his fists.

Espresso crossed his arms and glared at his boyfriend. Madeleine didn't want Espresso to leave but of course, he didn't want his head to burst either. He shut his eyes and slowly counted to 10. The room felt suffocating to breathe for both of the young lovers.

1...2...3...4...5...6...7...

"Well?" Espresso said impatiently, "Heh."

Madeleine ignored him and tried to concentrate on counting, an old tactic he learned from nanny which didn't help at all for him after she disappeared.

8...

"I knew it, you were lying." Espresso tsked.

Madeleine snapped his eyes open furious, "Don't rush me! You don't even know how I feel! You don't have to deal with watching your boyfriend being hit on left and right. You don't have crappy siblings. You don't have the weight of rules I have in the kingdom and republic and the reputation I need to uphold for younger cookies! You don't have judgy parents who glare at you and invite your boyfriend over. You weren't basically only cared for by a hired nanny who in the end dis-"

Madeleine stopped and shut up. His hand flew to his mouth in horror and instant regret. He knew that he had most definitely said the wrong thing. He had also spilled a bit of his childhood that he didn't want to bring up to anyone, but himself. Not to even his lover.

Espresso's shoulders trembled and he brought his gaze to Madeleine's. He opened his mouth to say something then closed it. Then, he straightened up.

"You don't need to deal with what I've felt, you still got more than 1 year of having the experience of friendship, not that I'm desperate to make friends. I'm sure your life is the only one with hardships," Espresso said coldly, his words like daggers.

Espresso spun around and turned the hotel's doorknob. Madeleine tried to grab Espresso's wrist, fearing if he let go Espresso wouldn't come back.

Espresso growled in frustration and in fury, he cast a coffee vortex, dragging Madeleine back. The vortex exploded and created a huge explosion which shook the suite, leaving burn marks at places it hit and the scent of bitter coffee in the air.

Guilt stabbed Espresso's heart and head seeing Madeleine coughing up blood. He edged towards the door, quivering.

Y̶͓͇͊̌̈́͒͐̈́ó̴͓͖̟͔̍ṷ̶̗̪̫̖̯̓̎'̴̛̬͖̜̥̯̿͌̓͝ŗ̸̫͇͛̕e̸͉͛̈́̍̃͊̌ ̷̨̙̝̬͒ͅd̸̪̯̝̻̾͛ą̷̧̲̱͚͒̅̆ń̵̦̖̉̄̈̓̕g̴̛̛͉̟͉̪̰̩͛͌̆̕ę̸̩̻̹̺͐̏͜͠r̸̨̤͙̦̙͔̿͛͘o̷̳͉̒͜u̴̧̡̯̎͑̿š̵̻͈̄~̶̩͈̟̼͐