Chapter 38

Espresso's Pov

It was moments like this that I wished to hold close forever, as ridiculous as it sounded.

Making a breakthrough or achieving yet another goal - they're all very satisfying and always make me ecstatic - but then I devise a grander goal, a more complex equation. I always want more.

I want success.

But as addictive as the feeling of success was, it couldn't compare to right now, this sensation and moment that can't be achieved through work. After all, my loneliness, as pathetic as that was, was the whole reason I stopped working that day and took a walk in the forest.

This was the first dance I've done that wasn't for a mission. I was dancing with someone I loved beyond words, someone I'd give up my time and fight for.

I won't give up my life though. I'm not that foolish.

It filled my insides with a fuzzy, unfamiliar warmth that made me squirm and want to push away... yet I couldn't let go.

I've felt like this several times with Madeleine before, but never would I have imagined I'd be dancing in one of the largest annual parties of the Republic with him.

My hands weaved with Madeleine's as we danced, our feet light as this was a waltz on water. The sweet, rich sound of Mint's violin intertwined with the notes from the grand piano, guiding the rest of the elite orchestra.

I felt my heart thump as I thought of how we needed to act on the plan after this dance.

What if we failed to stop Madeleine's parents from interfering with our lives?

What if something terrible happens?

I don't want to think of that. I wanted to get lost in this dance.

Tch, when have I gotten so soft?

But, I had a feeling that I may never dance with Madeleine in a ball again. Perhaps I should discover a way to contain a memory and be able to keep it fresh.

"Essy," My head snapped up responsively as Madeleine said my name, the last key from the piano plinking, ending the song.

His lips crashed onto mine, and his arms wrapped around my waist. I felt one of his hands tangle into my hair, forcing me closer and making me moan into the kiss, not caring if it was considered 'lewd' by the aristocrats.

I responded by kissing him back, dissolving into the kiss, before shortly placing my hand on his chest and pushing him off. His hand lingered longingly on my waist before he reluctantly took a step back.

"Thank you for this dance," he said, bowing.

Madeleine glanced back at where his parents stood, talking to one of his aunts. He looked back at me, frowning.

"Can't you come with me?" Madeleine wheeled, and I shook my head.

"Get going, you'll be fine. Where's that brave paladin I know?" I instructed firmly, giving him a nudge and a reassuring smile.

He groaned and turned and walked off, his head held high, trying to hide his restlessness. My smile disappeared as he disappeared past the social circles, but I couldn't drop my facade. I retreated to one of the tables, politely thanking a few compliments given to me while internally trying not to retch.

One of the servers served me a coffee martini, and I accepted it with a polite smile. I was grateful to Sparkling, who knew I would drink, and he prepared it for me ahead of time.