chapter six

I want so badly to protect you from the world because I know all too well how bad it can be.

☆ ☆ ☆

Arwen Milton

Arwen Milton

I wasn't entirely sure what was pressing on my mind so much to drive to Harry's house in the middle of the night. Perhaps it was because it had been exactly twenty four hours since Jazz left this earth, or maybe it was my conscience telling me something was wrong.

I was also mad at myself for how I left Harry on last night. He had told me he was fine, but of course he wasn't. I was too lost in my own grief to recognise that, and be there for him when he needed me the most.

I couldn't even begin to imagine how hard this must be for him and the kids. We all knew it was coming, but my god, I didn't expect it to hit so hard.

I knew it would hurt, I knew I would scream and cry and beg for the heavens to give my best friend back, but I didn't expect it to make my body feel so weightless and numb. Yet at the same time, I was so grateful to have had the time that I did with Jasmine. I was by her side for nearly seven years and I was certain her love would never leave me. It was too strong for it to ever fade away.

I seemed to be picking up on the positives, though there weren't many, I was holding onto them as much as I could. Like the fact she wasn't in pain anymore, she wasn't hurting and she could breathe so freely up in the stars, or the pride I felt towards her for how she put up a fight right until the very end.

Jazz was superhuman, there was no other way to describe her light other than angelic. She was everything I had ever hoped for in a best friend and I was so thankful to have been touched by her love.

I was so grateful that I was the one who got to love her and be by her side. I was the one who got to call her my best friend and our friendship will live forever inside of me.

But I knew Harry's mind didn't work like that. I knew Harry would struggle to hold onto the precious memories and I know his mind would rather send him down a well of darkness than show him the light.

Perhaps that's why I felt such an overwhelming need to look after him.

It's either that or maybe Jazz was sending me a sign. Maybe she was getting in my head and telling me to take care of Harry and the kids.

Either way, I was on my way to Harry's house at one in the morning and I'd admit it wasn't my finest moment. Bundling myself in the car whilst in my pyjamas from last night, mascara down my cheeks and smeared around my eyes, my hair in a matted mess. But something was drawing me towards Harry. I needed to make sure he was okay, I needed to make sure he was coping.