chapter thirty eight

This isn't something I can afford to lose.

☆ ☆ ☆

Arwen Milton

Arwen Milton

The past few hours had been a whirlwind and I meant that with my whole entire chest. I had never quite known anything like it.

I had seen Harry have a multitude of panic attacks, I had witnessed him break down on so many levels. I had watched him cry with grief and shout in anger, I had seen him panic like there was no tomorrow. But I had never quite seen him like this.

He wasn't just worried or anxious over Binx, he was frantic. I had never seen him quite like this.

At first he seemed to calm down a little as the minutes went on in the waiting room, Binx fell fast asleep in his arms and I can only imagine how much she needed that sleep. An hour went by and I thought Harry was soon going to drift asleep as well, but an ambulance soon came whizzing in, waking the both of them with a jump.

Harry and I hardly spoke the entire time, aside from when I was relaying what Niall had text me about Sully eating a cracker and then taking a nap on the sofa. I even tried to engage in a conversation with him, asking him how his session went in the studio, but all I got in return was a half hearted shrug.

I was trying to keep his mind off of things, I was trying my best to keep him calm and keep him sane, but he didn't want to talk and he didn't want to be distracted. He was so focused on watching over Binx's every move that he hardly even responded when I spoke to him.

He had bigger things to worry about.

It was when hour five hit that Harry truly became restless. He was told that she would be seen within five hours, but Binx was very quickly bumped down the queue when a child was brought in bleeding and unconscious. I watched as Harry physically paled at the sight of that poor child on the gurney, being rushed through the hallway with a whole host of medical staff shouting after them.

Then a few more children managed to skip the queue with broken arms and head bumps, a few children vomiting and screaming in pain, Binx's health suddenly didn't become as important when there were children in much worse condition. And I think deep down Harry understood that, but he just couldn't seem to process why they were getting seen to whilst Binx was still limp in his arms, shivering and burning up.

When hour seven rolled around and Sully was tucked up in bed under the care of Niall, the sky was growing dark and we still hadn't been seen to, Harry quiet literally lost his shit. At first he was frantically googling private hospitals nearby, but it turns out that they didn't even accept emergency patients no matter how much money you threw at them.