8 | Do You Get Deja Vu?

Song recommendation: Can't pretend.

I stepped back from him.

Jungwon, who had been staring at the ringing phone, glanced at me. He flexed his fingers around my wrist. I stared into his eyes expecting him to do something, anything. Choose someone. Why? No idea. From where all these thoughts were coming from? Or maybe they had been here since the moment I met him, I just didn't acknowledge them.

"Your phone is ringing," I said just for the sake of it.

"I'm aware," his reply came quietly. Okay? I lowered my eyes, and felt him step closer to me. "You can skip today, go back to your dorms and rest. It's okay. We can give the rehearsals extra time tomorrow."

"I can do it." I shook my head, plastered a smile on my face and looked up at him. "Sunbae, let's get to work." I sighed, and moved away from his warmth. It wasn't good for my heart. "I don't want you to taunt me on this afterwards."

"You know I won't do that." Jungwon looked done with my antics. He sat down on the floor, and started reading the script.

Good. At least now he could go back to Miyoung and stop trying to act like he would choose me over her. He won't. He was just feeling bad for me, and didn't want to leave me here. Otherwise he would leave me in a heartbeat for her. It wasn't sad, but a fact. I had to accept it.

"What is this? Of course I miss Sunoo Sunbae. He's my mint chocolate partner. Ah who wrote this script?" Jungwon grumbled after a moment. "Did they actually get your obsessions with mint chocolate on scripts? Agenda."

I ignored. I went through my lines with him, and highlighted the words or sentences which didn't sound right so that the scripts could be improvised accordingly with my own suggestions. Jungwon did the same. We rehearsed the lines together as well. I was done in two hours, and went to the piano in the corner. I played some keys, and smiled. Music was my friend. A truly beautiful friend.

"Love, I have wounds
Only you can mend
You can mend, oh, oh, oh
I guess that's love
I can't pretend."

I mumbled the lyrics and played the keys to get the rhythm, and then paused. Jungwon was staring at me. "Go on. We need a break anyways. What's the song though? I want to see Hangul translation." He started typing on his phone as I told him the name of the song.

"Oh, feel our bodies grow
And our souls they play, yeah
Yeah love I hope you know
How much my heart depends, yeah
But I guess that's love I can't pretend
I guess that's love I can't pretend, oh, oh
But I guess that's love I can't pretend
I guess that's love I can't pretend."

I sang the acoustic cover. He was silent. Then a shadow fell over me, and I raised my head to see Jungwon standing beside me, leaning his weight on one of his hand on piano, while his half body hovering over my head, staring at my hands fascinatingly.

"I didn't know you can play that well." His surprised eyes met mine.

"Well, you don't know me at all then." I turned my gaze away. "This is the first thing people know about me when they meet me. Alas, you were too busy to judge my mistakes to know me, no?" I looked up at him but he wasn't looking back at me.

His eyes were staring hard at the surface. "Shall I try a bit?" Jungwon ignored my words, and sat beside me. "Sunoo hyung plays it really well."

I grabbed his wrist when his hand moved over the keys unsure. "Should I teach you some basics?" I asked casually but he stilled. My skin tingled and his eyes eyes widened as he peeked at me. "Why are you being so shocked? Have you never held hands with a girl?" I tried to sound confident, to act like holding him, his hand wasn't making me feel things I had no business of feeling.

Jungwon opened and closed his mouth, and then there was a knock on the door. I dropped his hand at once and we both turned to see Miyoung entering with some packets of food. Her eyes went back and forth between us and I was sure she could see something that wasn't there.

"Ah. Hellooo people." Miyoung came with her princess aura. When she first debuted, everyone was sure she would be treated like IVE Wonyoung Sunbae, because she was too pretty. I kid you not, if I had to define her beauty in a word, it was diamond. Shining. Dazzling.

"Miyoung, what are you doing here?" Jungwon put his hands in his jeans pocket and stood up, walking away from me.

Walking towards her.

"You didn't pick up my call. Figured you guys were working hard on the script." She smiled easily. "I brought food. Come on, take a break champs."

"Stop it. I really hate it when you act like this," He grumbled and took the packed from her.

"Act like what? That I adore my Sunbae?" She grinned and ruffled his hair. "What to do? You're a cute cat."

He scoffed, but I could see a shy smile on him. I felt eyes on me and averted my gaze on Miyoung. She was smiling too much. "Teal, come on, have some food. Then you can go back to your scripts or whatever you guys want to do."

We sat on the floor. Miyoung was a chatter box. Just like me. She kept updating us about random news happening around, not gossips, literal news. Event timings, rehearsals schedule change, even the weather forecasts. In between the exchange, she would glance at me and I tried to give her a polite smile.

Afterwards, Jungwon walked Miyoung to the door. She whispered something and he took her out, whisper yelling something back. I tip toed to the door, curious what they had going on. Pushing myself against the wall, I strained my ears. Of course I knew it was bad to eavesdrop, but whatever.

"Do you like her? She's beautiful," Miyoung gushed and then started laughing. "Wae wae wae, why are you looking like a ghost to me? I can clearly see something going on. Come on, tell me. You like her, don't you?"

"You're drunk in the day time. Bye, Miyoung." He was hissing, but I knew he loved her too much to get angry at her. "I wish you could see who I actually love," Jungwon blurted out, and I knew the way those words were rushed, he didn't mean to say them aloud.

"You... You love someone? Who?" I could imagine her wide eyes. "Jungwon, you don't like but love someone? Why didn't you tell me! I can help you get your dream girl, tell me." She stomped her foot.

"For the God's sake Miyoung, I love-"

I opened the door, and stopped their conversation. "Sunbae, mianhe. I wanted to discuss something with you. Or do you want to talk tomorrow, I'm fine either way," I told him, my eyes hard.

Miyoung shook her head. "No no. You guys work. I'll be on my way," she mumbled, a little disturbed I think with her friend's confession. "We'll talk later, Wonie." She gave me a wave and left from there.

I watched her disappearing around the corridor and then looked back at him. Jungwon grabbed my hand, and dragged me inside the room. Pushing me against the wall, he placed a hand beside my head on the wall. "Why did you do it?" he growled.

"Did what? Stopped you from confessing your love to a girl who takes you as a friend and nothing else?" I snapped.

"It's better to be rejected than to be in this agony. Alright? But you don't know anything." He leaned closer. "Don't ever stop me again."

My hands curled into a fist as I struggled with him standing this close to me. "Whatever. Make a fool out of yourself. I don't care," I said. "By the way, you should take a step back. I don't want to be associated with you."

Jungwon realised the thin space between us and walked away from me. He grabbed the script from the floor, and went to the door. "I'll see you tomorrow."

With that he left the room, leaving me breathless and confused all over again.