34 | My Comfort Spring

"Leave that guy! I'm telling you Chayoung, get into your senses for the God's sake. Your life is supposed to be perfect-"

"Perfect for you, mom!" I snapped, tears streaming down my face. "You've never loved me. Never cared about me, so how do you even know what's wrong and right? I love him mom. I love Jungwon!" I screamed out. "Can't you just once in your life think about my happiness?"

"Your happiness? That guy can never ever become a part of our family. You're Kevin's fiance." My mother reached out and squeezed my face in between her fingers. "Listen to me carefully, I won't repeat this again. Jungwon and you aren't happening. Stop this madness. You had your fun, now it's time you come back to your reality."

"He's my reality," I gritted out. "I'm not leaving him. I'm not breaking up with him. I'm choosing myself. I'm done with you-"

She let go and slapped me again. "How dare you talk to me like that?"

"Talk to you?" I snorted, ignoring the burn of my skin. "When did you think of me? I've craved for you love my entire life, but you never gave it to me. All you've done is make me this robot who is always searching for some kind of comfort, only to end up bitter in life. I've tried mom! I've tried to wait for you to look at me, but you never did!"

"What the-"

"Mom. I love him. I love him so much, I feel like I can't breathe without him. I've never received this much comfort from a person before. Not from you at least. He's my everything at this point." I held her hands, my lips trembling. "Please please be my mom for once. I want my mom right now. Please, I love him. I love Jungwon."

My mother stared at me for a moment. I saw myself in her. Her Russian features reflected on my face too. "Do you think he loves you? Do you think he would have loved you if not for your pretty face? The face we gave you?" She asked, and I felt my voice stuck in my throat. I reeled from the effect of her words. Each one of them was like a stab to the throat. I couldn't reply to that question. My silence was her answer.

"I don't have to think about that. He likes me. He told me he likes me." I tightened my hold on her hands. "I'm changed physically so what if doesn't matter, mom. He likes me. Jungwon said-"

Her eyes hardened. "You've become a fool in love. God it's embarrassing to see you like that. I thought you knew better than this." She looked away, and my hands slipped through hers. "Throw that guy out of your life."

"But he's my life," I whispered, shaking my head.

"Mark my words. He'll leave you. Jungwon will leave you, and you'll regret going against us for that boy." She stepped back, and then left the place.

I sat on the dinner table, refusing to meet my mother's 'I told you so' gaze. Kevin was talking to my father beside me. I was here in LA for Amaranth clothing line fashion show. Ara had invited me as a guest. Kevin/Ara's parents sat across me. I didn't bother to talk to Ara's mother since I hated that woman passionately. More than I hated my mother.

"Ara must be busy with her fashion show. Such a hardworking person." My father smiled. "I heard she shifted to Japan a few weeks ago. How's it going there? The new branch working fine?"

I tuned out of the conversation. Kevin held my hand under the table, and gave me an encouraging smile. I sighed, shaking my head. "Your sister took the easy route. Left us here for this torture," I murmured, playing with my food in plate.

"You know Ara. She's overworking herself again." Kevin leaned forward to whisper in my ear. "She told your Jungwon that we're not a thing anymore."

I paused. "My Jungwon?"