⚽️Chapter 16⚽️

'It's annoying, but Naruhaya's right. I'm still lacking something necessary to reach Nagi or Barou. A weapon to use in a 1-on-1 that lets me reach the goal...Unless I'm on par with those geniuses, I'll never be able to become the best striker in the world...!' Isagi thought, staring down with a scrunched up face.

'Search it. I have to find the power that I'm lacking before this match ends!'

"Let's go, Isagi. We're bringing it back." Nagi said, placing his foot on the ball.

"Yeah!" Isagi nodded.

'I don't want it to end here. I don't want to end as a mediocre person!'

Restart!

After the whistle blew, Nagi passed the ball over to Isagi who proceeded to run forward.

'The way to win a 1-on-1...I need to try out everything I come up with...!'

Isagi then kicked the ball over to Nagi who followed on his right.

'Dribbling isn't the only way. By turning it into a 2-on-1, even for a second, by doing a one-two with Nagi...Then, even if I lack speed, I can still get past Naruhaya!'

Isagi ran past Naruhaya, ready to revive the ball from Nagi. He believed that he had gotten through, so it was certainly a surprise to find Naruhaya who appeared in front of him once more.

"Not happening, Mr.Mediocre!" Naruhaya said.

'Really...? He's still following me! Is this method not good...?! I have to find something else!' Isagi thought.

"What are you doing, Isagi?" Nagi raised a brow, watching the boy's movements.

"Have this back for a second." He said, finally passing the ball.

Isagi did receive, but not much after, he passed it once more to Nagi.

"Go, Nagi!" He shouted.

'Shit...All I can do for scoring is rely on Nagi... There's no point in this...'

"Hop." Nagi muttered, receiving the ball as Barou stood near him, ready to take it when given the chance.

'The match is progressing with just those geniuses. If this is all I can do...I'll never be able to defeat either of them!' Isagi thought, gritting his teeth.

The whistle blew as Nagi scored a goal, successfully having got past Barou.

Team White Team Red
3 3

'Perhaps just changing my tactics, my actions...is not enough to find the strength that I'm after?' Isagi wiped the sweat trailing down his chin.

"Shit!" Naruhaya suddenly shouted. "I won't let it end like this..."

'Then, instead of my actions, I need to change my thinking. Don't get caught up in how you used to play. In order to change, I have to discard how I was so far...' Isagi thought, puzzle pieces connecting in his brain.

He grew alert at the sight of Barou who placed the ball down, a dark expression on his face. As the whistle blew, Barou kicked the ball and it headed towards the net.

"Now it went in." Barou spoke with confidence.

It in fact did not go in since Nagi appeared so suddenly and blocked it before it could go in.

"No it didn't." Nagi said in a slightly mocking tone.

"Nice, Nagi!" Isagi praised, running to pick up the ball.