Chapter 21

Kenzie's POV

The next few days go by fast. Not much happened with school, and not much has happened with Carter. It's Friday now. The party I'm going to is tonight.

I got home from school three hours ago and I'm getting ready for the party now. It starts at 7pm, and it's 5pm now.

I pick out an outfit to wear, then I put it on. I chose to wear a teal-colored skirt, and a black tanktop with lace around the neck.

I go into the bathroom and I put on makeup, after I do that, I start curling my hair.

My hair takes a long time to curl so I'm glad I still have an hour. It's like 5:30 now. My friend Ashley is going to come pick me up at 6:45, so I should probably be mostly ready by 6:30.

I finish curling my hair after a while and I look at the time, it's 6:20 exactly. I turn off my curling iron and I fix up my makeup quickly, making sure it looks good. After I'm done, I go out into the bedroom and I put on a pair earrings, and I put on a pair of black heels. I grab my phone and my small clutch, throwing a couple things into it, then I text Ashley.

I want to make sure she knows where to pick me up, and I know she's going to question me about this house and why I'm here.

She texts back and she says she has the right address & that she'll be here in 20 minutes because she still has to leave her house. She said she'll be leaving in like 10 minutes. She lives right around the corner from here.

I decide that I should probably go to Carter's room because he'll want to talk. I walk out of my room, turning left to go to Carter's room.

I knock on the door lightly and a couple seconds later the door opens. I swear he's always shirtless whenever I come to his room...

"Hi." I say.

"Hey Kenzie." He says.

He steps out of the way and he motions for me to walk into the room. After I walk in, he closes the door and at the same time he tells me to sit down wherever.

I sit down on the edge of the bed and Carter comes over & sits down next to me.

"Why are you all dressed up?" He asks.

"I'm going to that party, remember?"

"Oh right, I forgot about that. Will your friend be here to pick you up soon?" He asks.

"Yeah she said she'll be here in like 20 minutes." I say.

"Okay. So is anything wrong? Why did you come to my room?"

"No, nothing's wrong. I just thought I should come talk to you before I leave, so that you'll know when I'll be leaving." I say.

"Alright."

I sit there quietly. I don't really know what to say.

"How was school?" Carter asks.

"It was fine I guess, school's the same mostly every day." I say.

"I'm glad you had a good day. Mine was pretty stressful." Carter says, then he sighs.

"Why?" I ask.

"Well I met with my gang today and we discussed the situation. I need to ask you something. Dylan texts you every day, right?"

"Yeah. He does every day. I don't respond though. Why?" I say.

"Good. The next time he texts you, respond to him."

"And say what, Carter?" I say.

"Tell him you want to talk to him in person. Say you'll sneak out of the house and meet him somewhere, without me knowing. But I will know you are leaving, and I will follow you. My gang will keep an eye on him and you too. We'll make sure he doesn't hurt you when you meet with him."