Chapter 27

Kenzie's POV

Carter and I have probably been talking for over an hour and we are still talking.

"I guess I'm not taking you out tonight for your birthday. I do feel really bad that I forgot your birthday. I really need to make it up to you." He says.

"It's okay. You can make it up to me once you're better. But right now, I'm just happy you're okay." I say.

"I promise I will take you out once I'm better." He says.

"Okay. I'm happy just being with you right now Carter." I say.

"I'm happy I'm with you. I'm happy you're my girl."

"I'm happy I'm with you too Carter."

Carter and I talk for a little while, and the doctor comes in to check on him.

"Do you feel okay? Do you have any pain in your chest?" The doctor asks.

I'm just sitting in a chair beside Carter's hospital bed and I'm holding his hand.

"I feel okay. Yes there's a bit of pain, but it's not too bad. I mean obviously there is going to be some pain because I did get shot." He says.

"Alright. Your heartbeat seems to be at a normal rate according to the monitor. Are you having any trouble breathing?" The doctor asks.

"No I'm fine." He says.

"Okay. Well everything seems to be okay. But I still want to keep you overnight just to make sure. Is there anything I can get for you?" The doctor asks.

"Well I am kind of hungry, and I think Kenzie is too. Would you mind maybe showing Kenzie where the cafeteria is?" Carter says.

"Yes, I'll show her. Kenzie if you would follow me."

"Okay." I say, standing up.

The doctor walks over to the door and before I go over to him, I quickly lean down and kiss Carter. I let go of his hand and I tell him I'll be back soon, and then I go over to the doctor.

I follow the doctor down the hospital hallways and he asks me a couple questions about myself & Carter. Just questions like when did you meet, how did you meet, how long have you been together, etc. I obviously lie about how Carter & I met because I'm not about to say he just kidnapped me.

We walk into the cafeteria and the doctor tells me that I can get anything I want for Carter & myself, and then he leaves.

I get a tray, then I just start getting what food I want and what food I think Carter will want. I get us both bottles of water and then after I'm done getting everything, I carry the tray back to Carter's hospital room.

I walk into the room and Carter looks up at me.

"Hey" He says.

"Hey. I brought food." I say.

"I can see that." He says then he laughs a little.

I walk over to him and I put the tray with our food on the edge of Carter's hospital bed.

I start saying what I brought and I give Carter what he wants. I sit back down in my chair next to his bed and I eat some of the food too.

After we finish eating, I put the tray on the one table in the corner so it's out of the way, then I come back over and sit next to Carter on the bed.

We talk for a little while and then Carter asks me,
"Can you go see if the guys are still out in the waiting room? Or if not, maybe check to see if they're in AC's hospital room. I would like to talk to them."