10. Gossip and Tea

Isabella

"Will Feyre be joining us." Nesta asks, more demands, once she is seated at the head of the table opposite Rhys. Funny how in human culture that would signify a marital status yet here it is nothing more than two opposing leaders.

"Your sister is out practising her... newfound abilities." Rhys smirks, as if knowing that those words would drive Isabella's twins insane.

"Abilities?" An arched brow, the careful placing down of her cutlery in favour of staring down the High Lord. "My sister has told me plenty about the different powers at play in Prythian so I wonder why she's out there and you're in here."

Oh she's good. That statement could be interpreted a number of ways and each one reveals a different thing about Feyre's relationship with the High Lord. Oliver fusses slightly, clearly done with the food and boring adult conversation. For a moment Isabella just holds onto him, blinking as she fights the urge to just hold onto him to him tightly it Elain's pointed look from across the table has her relenting.

The boy wastes no time sliding from her lap and carrying his various toys over to the fireplace behind Azriel and Elain. He pays no heed to how Azriel quickly tucks in his wings when Oliver walks past and for a moment Isabella wonders if he's even realised they are fae. But then.... The open fireplace. Isabella starts to rise, intending to brave walking path both winged males to move the fire guard in front but Azriel has already risen from his seat.

Nesta breaks off her meaningless argument with the High Lord, her gaze snapping to where Azriel approaches the fire place and Oliver.

"What are you doing." The words are so fast Isabella can almost mimic a whip cracking. Nesta looks to her in question, wondering why she is not panicking and Isabella wonders the same yet... somehow she knows he wouldn't hurt her son. Cassian was more of an accident liability but even from the short conversations held over dinner and breakfast has allowed her an insight into the males personalities and it's obvious that they are honourable. The little moment earlier when Cassian made no move to reprimand Oliver for being rude confirmed it.

"Just moving the fire guard." Azriel smoothly replies, but even if the answer was for Nesta he looks at Isabella. She stares back, unflinching but the male merely turns back and readjusts the fire guard while Oliver pays him no mind. It's as if he's already decided that these males are okay and safe.

"Bella." She turns at the sound of Elain's voice, realising for the first time that she had risen to her feet. Hastily sitting down, Isabella offers her sister an apologetic smile. "My apologies, what were you saying."

"Rhysand wishes to know when you will be going into the village." There's a tightness in her voice, the only displeasure she had ever seen Elain show. The table goes quiet, the males straightening up as they remember the mission they've been sent on. "I intended to leave after breakfast but if Feyre wishes to come with us-"

"We'll all come with you." Isabella raises her eyebrow at Rhysand's words but he merely forced a polite smile that borders on pained. "We need to scout the village anyway so we'll make it our last stop."

"Okay." Isabella states and she relishes in the surprised look on the male's face. Had he truly thought that she would object? There was no logical reason to so perhaps he expected her to do so out of spite or as a way to control the situation.

"I'll need to make a few other stops first." Isabella began and Rhysand leans back in his chair with a look that definitely says he was expecting her object in some way. "The post office is on the other end of the village and there are a few shops I need to visit on the way there." She focuses on patiently cutting her food, trying to hide the hunger clawing at her stomach with patient small strokes now that she can finally eat without Oliver nibbling at the food first.