56. 。・:*:・゚★ Quiet Mornings

。・:*:・゚★TW: This is just 3000 words of smut,。・:*:・゚☆

Cassian

Isabella had woken up early, barely having slept three hours but some deep motherly instinct had her mumbling about being with her son. He had attempt to follow but was soon crushed by a gentle shake of her head.

She needed to be with her son.

He understood that.

Didn't really like that though.

He and Azriel lay staring up at the ceiling, both awake and listening to Isabella's quiet footsteps as she moved down the hall. Unfortunately Azriel had soundproofed his room so they were soon left in silence.

It was the first time the pair of them had been alone together since the cabin. Since they– a blush burned at Cassian's cheeks, unable to stop himself from remembering what they did.

"Cassian." Azriel's voice was low and husky, full of warning. He loved it. "Go back to sleep."

"Where did you go earlier?" Cassian rolls over to look at his... lover who blinks back at him in what could be described as confusion. It was false, Cassian knew him better than that. "You left Isabella and I."

Why did you leave the most important people in your life? He hadn't gone to Oliver because that would be an easy, explainable answer.

Azriel sighs, shoulders tensing for a second as he rubs at his forehead.

"I spoke to Rhys about..." He trails off, clenching his jaw and Cassian does his best to connect the dots.

"About Isabella staying here? With us." He suggests, trying not to sound hopeful at the idea. "At least for a few days that is, while they get settled in."

"No but I think that's the general assumption."

Cassian frowns, fighting the tired fogginess of his brain as he observes how tense Azriel has become.

"We spoke about earlier." He eventually confesses, eyes darting nervously to Cassian. "When I was drunk and–" He waves his hand and Cassian winces at the implication. "Exactly."

"How did it go?" He sounds hesitant to his own ears and Azriel sighs once more. "That bad?"

"Not necessarily bad," Azriel stares up at the ceiling as he continues to think through his words. "More, not what I intended to say. I don't think my apology came across the way I wanted it to."

Cassian frowns, feels a soft weight press down on his chest at the two brothers fighting. He never liked when they fought. It made him... sad, small. Reminded him of another life, before Rhys' mother took him in and showed him a new one.

"Hey," Azriel calls, voice soft. "Where did you go?"

Cassian hums, shifting closer slightly till he can press his head into the side of Azriel's neck. His Shadowsinger doesn't hesitate to curl a hand around the back of his neck, cradling him against his chest. A soft purring quickly fills the air as Azriel begins to sooth him, sensing where this is going.

"Rhys and I aren't really fighting, Cas." He soothes and he nods helplessly against his chest. "What's got you on edge?"

He doesn't answer, too overwhelmed as the weight of the day catches up to him. As the horror of nearly losing his mate and son. Not even that, because he can rationalise that. They weren't truly in harm even if his fear didn't know that.

No, the mate bond was still all twisted up inside him.

Warping him out of shaping as that once rage fuelled fog descends over his mind now full of punishment and loathing. The drawbacks of bonds are rarely talked about. With overwhelming responsibility and a need to protect the withdrawal can be brutal.