31. Dinner Dates

Isabella

It turns out that Cassian didn't need supervising though her kitchen was both in disarray and fixed better than it previously was. Cabinets with squeaky hinges were now silent, a window pane looked newer and there was an entire cupboard that looked to have been remounted properly on the wall.

Isabella kind of missed the cupboard's wonky charm if she was being honest. It added a certain personality to her home.

Cassian had taken one look at their hovering presence and shooed the pair over to the fire, insisting that he was cooking for them tonight. Isabella had faith in Cas' cooking but it didn't stop her and Azriel from sharing teasing remarks about finding a back up meal.

It was easy being in their company. She and Azriel had drifted from topic to topic and she relished in the quiet normalcy of it all. He told her about a mystery book he recently read and how unsuccessful he was at guessing who the murder was. He claimed there were inconsistencies in the plot, she had only giggled and the sound seemed to spark a light in Azriel's eyes.

From Cassian's surprised look and raised brows she wondered how often the Spymaster spoke this freely. Especially when Cas had quickly backed away from them as though fearful of shattering the moment. Part of Isabella had bristled at Azriel's attention, bitter that it might have been out of guilt or an attempt at praise for trying to leave her husband.

Except his questions were genuine and he was willing to listen to her ramble about her day. Meaningless stuff that had no real importance yet he treated it like the most interesting story. But as the evening drew on and Morrigan had winnowed her sister in she found herself enjoying Azriel's conversation. The way he asked after Oliver and remembered what she had previously mentioned from weeks ago.

It was nice having someone who respected her. Even when she wasn't making decisions he agreed. Isabella realised that was the difference between Azriel and his brothers.

Cassian had only seen Tomas as a controlling male, that was the first thing her lovable giant had seen about her relationship. Rhysand had seen both sides of the story, the complicated and messy truths- the sacrifices she had made. Azriel had seen her son. He had seen a scared little boy and did his best to help him without becoming another male controlling his mother.

Isabella thought it would be quite nice to have another person putting Ollie first.

Watching Azriel and Feyre converse now, the older brother role he so clearly had taken on only warmed her heart further. She wanted this, Isabella realised with a jolt. She wanted this life. Someone kind and caring helping to make food, a family unit who talk and look after one another.

Part of her wanted this family.

But she wasn't sure about Prythian.

Even the thought of the Fae realm had her stiffening. She had gotten better with it though. Isabella and Cassian had spoken extensively about all that he had seen on his many unscheduled visits to walk her to and from the market. It was easier when she considered Prythian in relation to her friends.

It made it less vast and daunting. Because, oh that was just windhaven, the place where the boys grew up. Velaris is a wonderful city by the sea, did you know her sister liked to go dancing there? Yet she still found herself overwhelmed by all of it, the size and power of the courts, the number of beasts and creatures that lurked in the forest.

"You look deep in thought." A silky voice murmured so close to her ear that she jumped back. The clattering pots and conversation instantly stilled behind Isabella at her gasp of surprise though it quickly picked up again at the sight of the High Lord.