Chapter 34

{Cain's POV}

I knock softly on the bathroom door. "Mae, honey."

She sniffles in through the door. "Le-leave me a-alone."

"Honey..." I open the door softly. Shes sitting on the counter top. I shake my head and reach for her hand. I squeeze her hand softly, blood oozing out of her cuts.

She looks up and gazes into my eyes. I stoke her hair an her eyes soften. I hear the puppy on the other side of the door. I ignore it and continue to squeeze Mae's hands.

"You're okay, you have me now."

"No, no, no..." She shakes her head and whispers softly.

"Shhh..." I shush her calmly. I pull her off the counter top and carry her into the bedroom in my arms.

I sit her down on the bed. I walk out of the room and come back in with bandages.

I finish bandaging up her arm and reach down to pick up the puppy. I rest the puppy in my lap. "Jax."

"What?"

"The name of the puppy, Jax." I say. Mae smiles and nods.

"Cute..." Mae says continuing to nod.

We stay this way in each others arms for a while. Soon enough Gina and Tami walk into our room. I walk out.

I wait in the living room with Brody listening to the conversation uprising from the room.

"So, you really never did die?" I question him.

"No, I told you the story."

"I know, I know but I don't understand how it is all true. Like--"

"I kissed Mae." Brody blurts out matter-o-factly.

"I know" I exclaim unsurprised.

"I'm in love with Mae, I always have been. But she has always favored you over me. She never really noticed me like that so I guess I'm done trying. It's sad, really, I always thought things would turn out differently. That she would see whats to like in me.

"Wait how did you know?"

I felt bad for him. All this time he watched Mae and I in the background wanting her but not ever letting it on. That's why he was so relieved, in a way, to find out that Cassie was pregnant with my baby. He was hoping we'd break up so he could have a chance with her.

"Mae told me. And I'm sorry. I had no idea that you ever felt that way. But why the hell would you kiss my girlfriend?"

"You had sex with mine."

"Okay, point taken. But come on dude we are best friends."

"Yeah, but so is Mae to me. She's my best friend too." Brody says and his expression drops.

"I'm sorry but you can't go around kissing my best friend, your best friend, MY girlfriend."

"You're have a flipping baby with my ex!"

With that my phone rings, Cassie.

"Speak of the devil..." I muttered answering my phone.

"Hello?"

"Hello! Oh my god, thank goodness it's you. Earlier the other day you said you saw Brody, were you lying?"

"Hear for yourself, Cassie."

I handed the phone to Brody. He held it up to his ear.

"Hell--"

"Oh my gosh, you are fine. I though you died. What happened? Are you okay! Tell me everything!"

"Well I guess we are done here." I told Brody as he began to explain to Cassie how he was alive.

"This isn't over!" He said holding the phone to his shoulder so that he could answer me.

...

Gina and Tami were in our room playing with Jax. Mae was sitting quietly on the bed watching her friends.

"Hey." I say calmly.

"Hey." She replies softly.

"So I talked to Cassie, she is about 4 months along, going strong. She doesn't know what she is going to do with the baby though."

"Good for her." Mae says sarcastically.

"I'm sorry."

"No, no! You don't get to apologize. You don't get that. You don't get to say anything to me." She says all of a sudden angry.

"I'm confused," she continues, "I don't know why you are doing this. Why are you treating me like this. Like I'm a worthless piece of shit."

"You aren't."

"Oh, but I am." She sighs. I grab her hand and squeeze it.

"You are not. And even if you are, I love you anyway." I say giving her a peck on the cheek. "Now get dressed, we are going on the beach."

I shoo Gina and Tami out of the room so I can get dressed too.

I smile at her curves and her gorgeous body. She looks so damn hot. I grab her naked waist and pull her in.

I kiss her like there is nothing in to world that can stop me. Nothing can make this any better.

I see her cuts and kiss her harder so she knows how much I love her.

"I love you" I whisper kissing her up her neck.

She smiles back.