Chapter 16

{Gina's POV}

Mae just called me to tell me that she is coming to the hospital with Tami. I haven't seen Tami in forever so hopefully she will come and visit me.

Being alone in this bed is boring. The dull gray walls mixed with the white curtains and white/gray speckled tiles make the room seem, well, empty. Nothing in it is colorful but the heart monitor which is red, green, and blue. Even the uncomfortable bed sheets are white.

I sigh. The hospital is only a couple blocks down from the school. I wish I was at the school with all of my friends and studying for finals to graduate since I did come two weeks before graduation.

A small knock comes to the door but the door doesn't open, so I know its not the nurse. I breathe in and say, "Come in."

Tami walks into the door and I smile. "Hey Tami!"

"How are you feeling? Mae told me everything."

"I'm fine. Just bored of being in this tedious room. Everything in here is gray!"

Tami laughs and says, "Thats my Gina!"

I laugh back with her.

"How's Mae?" I ask eager to know what happened

"Well..." Tami trails off.

"Tam!" I say shooting her a glare.

"She, well, I found her in the bathroom. She's getting stitched and bandaged up now but she should be up here afterwards." Tami says.

I nod slowly taking it in. On the outside, Mae seems to be living a perfectly normal life, but in the inside she is dying and I hate to see that side of her

"So..." I say trying to change the subject, "Hows my Tam been."

She nods and replies, "Good, good. I'm good. Work is great and all thats wrong is I miss my friends. But graduation is in two weeks so I guess I will see you guys during the summer."

"Aww yay!" I exclaim to her. I've missed her and Mae and thats one of the main reasons that I transferred to West Academy.

At that time Mae walks into the door. "Hey y'all." She says pouting.

Tami walks over and hugs her. Mae doesn't resist and hugs back. "I'm sorry y'all have such a retard friend. I'm sorry that y'all have to put up with me
and always wonder, even if it is lingering in the back of your mind, if I'm okay. I'm sorry, really, I am."

"Oh there's no need to be sorry. You need to let it out and we are here for you, we love you and personally I don't think you are a retard." I say.

Tami stops hugging Mae, looks her in the eyes and nods.

Mae looks down at her arm and sighs, "Yeah... whatever."

After we all were hugging and crying Mae and Tami leave me and, once again I am alone in my tedious hospital bed with the dull curtains and wall.

At least it gives me time to think long and hard about things. I sigh and just remember what Mae had just said about how she thinks she is a retard. At least she had never been called on by teachers, students, friends, and especially not her parents.

I don't know much about her parents, she never really talks about them. I guess I should ask her one of these days.

I shake these bad thoughts from my mind and begin to fall fast asleep in a dream.