Chapter 31

{Mae's POV}

"Brody?"

He looks at me like I had just seen a ghost, which I think I did. He nodded in reply.

"Wait? Are you okay, you look like you are crying." He asks me. I disregard his question and begin to question him.

"I thought you were dead! What the hell are you doing alive?!"

"After the crash, which they told me happened because I don't remember it, I was shipped to a different country for medical help. I didn't know where I was and I had no money so I asked them where I was and they said Europe. I asked them if there was anyway to get back to America and they said the only flight was to Florida. I didn't have any money so I begged them to send me here and they did. I just got here last night and I thought I'd enjoy the beach before finding you guys."

"Who are 'they'?"

"Oh! The doctors." He replied. I nodded.

"Wait? Why didn't you just call us and tell us you weren't dead!"

"My phone broke and I don't have any numbers memorized."

"Not even your parents?" I asked strangely.

"Nope." He paused letting that sink into my head.

"Sadly enough, that sounds just like you."

"I know right." He says. Then he jumps up as he remembers something. "Oh and I got this." He says gesturing to a prosthetic leg that would look real if it wasn't attached to his left over leg with metal.

"Wow I just noticed that."

"Yep. And I also had a huge concussion thats also why I had been gone so long."

I nodded and looked at him. Thoughts blazed through my mind.

Wait. My best friend just 'rose from the dead' and I don't even seem a little surprised. I looked him dead in the eye before running up and hugging him. I squeezed him tight and I never let go. I let tears flow from my eyes.

I wrapped my legs around him and continued to hug him not wanting to let go. Reluctantly he hugged back and didn't let me go.

My tears formed a wet spot on the shoulder of his shirt. I let out a defeated sigh and he put me down. I looked him in the eyes, seeing his expression turn from a happy one to a more confused sad one. The corner of his lips turned down in a frown.

"What's wrong?" He asked me and I looked down at my feet.

"Your not dead and I'm just happy."

"Come on, I know there's more to this story."

I looked up, one again, into his eyes. I ignored him and started to walk away from him.

"Where are the rest?" Brody says.

I look back at him and begin to walk faster. He follows me and is soon by my side.

"Mae. Come on where are they?"

"I-I-I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"I don't. I haven't seen them since we drove down here last night." I say hiding my face with my hair.

"Seriously, what's wrong, you can talk to me."

Tears ran down my face. I pulled him down to the ground and sat next to him. "I-I'm just sad. And depressed and I want to die. Everyone hates me so, I-I ran away a-and now your b-back and I-I---" I paused to breath in, "and I-I don't know i-if I can h-handle it any longer."

He looks at me, his eyes gleaming into mine. I hide my face and breathe in deeply. Air doesn't reach my lungs and I gasp for air. Oh gosh not again. I gasp for air as tears make their way out of my already red eyes.

Brody glares at me in confusion and I pull my knees into my chest. I gasp for air in yet another panic attack. I couldn't handle telling him anymore.

Brody stayed there staring at me. Tears continued to fall from my eyes and people began to crowd around and stare. My knees presses against my chest. Glares and stares made my heart race. Sensing this Brody got up and shooed them all away.

He sat back down next to me, still I was grasping for breath, and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. He rubbed circles around my back with his thumbs. My breathing slowed until it came back to a normal pace.

He turned my face with his finger, until I was face to face with him. He gently touched my bruised eye that I had gotten from my sister. I flinch at his rough hands pressed against my face.

"What happened?" He asks gently. I shake my head in fear of yet another anxiety attack.

He nods slowly, taking in what I had just said. Our eyes lock and the whole earth seems to fade away. Brody hesitates before leaning in and pressing his lips against mine. He lips were cold against mine. He kisses me harder and I kiss him back.

I jump back into reality when he wraps his hand around my waist. I push him vigorously off of me. "Stop. This isn't right. I have a boyfriend."

His facial expression turns into a saddened one, but doesn't effect me. I jump up and storm off before he can say or do anything else.

Tears spring from my eyes as I run faster and faster away from Brody. Now I was alone with all of my confusing thoughts. He kissed me. I kissed him back. What was I supposed to tell Cain. Good thing I won't ever see them again. What would I have to tell them about Brody being alive. Maybe they would never figure out. I surely won't go back and tell them.

I'm going to run and run until the end of the beach. As far as my legs will take me and I will run farther and farther until I come to an end. And from there I will jump.