Chapter 31

I walked into Melissa's room early that morning with a carry-out holder with four coffees, seeing Scott and Isaac sleeping on the floor and chair.

Melissa woke up and stretched, startling herself when she saw the boys, sighing. "Really, boys? Boys!"

Scott and Isaac scrambled up off the floor and chair, looking at her.

"What do you think you're doing?" Melissa asked.

"Uh, we were watching over you..." Isaac answered.

"We wanted to make sure you weren't the third sacrifice!" Scott answered.

Melissa looked confused. "It looks like Parker just came back, and both of you were asleep..."

Scott looked at Isaac. "You were on watch last!"

"What are you talking about? You were on watch last!" Isaac answered.

"No, you were on watch last!"

"...I might have been on watch last." Isaac answered sheepishly.

Melissa smiled. "My heroes! Wait, didn't you say that they were all doctors? I mean, I haven't had an M.D. recently attached to the end of my name, so I think I'm in the clear..."

"Coffee?" I handed Melissa her cup once I handed the boys theirs.

"Thank you, Parker." Melissa took her cup with a smile at me.

"But it could just come under any kind of healer, Mom—and you were definitely a healer last night." Scott told his mother.

"Yeah, well, I'm not gonna be anyone's human sacrifice today, so the three of you get your butts to school." Melissa said as she threw back her covers and got up.

"You heard the woman. Come on, boys." I ushered the two boys out and closed the door as the three of us grabbing our backpacks and headed outside to Isaac's car.

"We could have just taken my bike." Scott said as Isaac started up the car.

"Yeah, no. I'm not sitting on Isaac's lap again." I said.

Isaac laughed lightly, looking at me in the passenger's seat. "Well I'd prefer to feel my legs."

"Are you calling me fat, sir?" I asked in a offended tone.

"Nah," he placed a hand on my stomach and patted it. "You're plenty skinny. Need to eat more meat, girly."

I smiled. "Gotta get more protein?"

He nodded, smiling happily. "Oh, yeah. You gotta get your protein."

    "You two are so weird." Scott said from the backseat of the car, going silent again until we pulled into the parking lot of the school.

We got out and headed into the school building, getting our stuff from our locker and headed into Mr. Harris' class, taking our seats.

Isaac took his usual seat next to me. "You want to help me and Boyd with something after this class?"

I looked at him. "Can it wait until after school?"

"No. It's concerning Derek's safety."

"Then, yes. I'll skip school with you two to help my brother not die from a woman with a foot fetish." I answered.

Isaac laughed lightly and nodded. "Great."

Miss Blake walked into the classroom. "Good morning! As you all know, Mr. Harris is still missing—I mean sick. Anyway, I'm filling in while we all hope and pray for a more qualified substitute to take my place. Okay, so let's get started, shall we?"