Chapter 44

I got off the back of Scott's bike as we pulled up next to the Sheriff's car at Eichenhouse.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Scott asked Stiles as him and his father met us at the gate.

"Because we wanted to avoid something like this..." Noah answered.

"It's only seventy-two hours." Stiles answered.

"This is the same place where Barrow came from—the guy who had a tumor inside him filled with flies." Scott turned to the Sheriff. "You don't know everything yet—"

"I know enough. Nogitsunes, Kitsunes, Oni, or whatever they're called..."

"Wow, that was actually all surprisingly correct." Stiles said in astonishment.

Noah sighed. "Scott, I saw an MRI that looked exactly like my wife's...and it terrifies me. I'm headed down to LA tomorrow to talk to a specialist."

"Then why are you putting him in here?" Scott asked.

"He's not—it's my decision." Stiles said, finally looking at me for the first time since we got there, then Scott. "Scott, I remember what I did to you that night, and I remember what I did to Parker. I don't want to hurt anyone again. Especially her."

Scott sighed. "Stiles, I can't help you if you're in here..."

"And I can't hurt you." Stiles answered.

"Deaton's got some ideas...Argent's calling people...we're going to find something. And, if we can't—"

Stiles looked at me sadly, then his friend. "If you can't...if you can't, then you have to do something for me, okay? Make sure I never get out. And make sure Parker's safe."

My phone rang in my pocket and I saw Derek's number, picking it up.

"Hey, Derek. What's going on?"

"Hey. Um....can you come to the station?"

"Why? What did you do this time?" I asked.

"Nothing. Can you just come here? Allison's already here, Argent as well."

"Fine. I'm on my way." I ended the call and looked to Scott, who had watched as the Stilinski's had walked through the gates. "Mind driving me to the station?"

"Sure." he tossed me the helmet and got on the bike, waiting until I got on the bike and put the helmet on before he started the bike up and we sped down the road, getting to the station and the both of us walking into the station, meeting up with Argent, Allison, and Derek.

"Hey, Der. Everything okay?" I asked as I hugged my brother.

"Everything's okay." Derek answered.

I looked to where Argent was on the phone, Deaton on the other end through the speaker when he spoke. "Did you have any trouble with Ikeda?"

"Only minor. The white wolf was exactly where you said it would be. But we have two problems, now. First the lichen is not a cure—it'll wear off in a matter of days.

"But, while it does work, the Oni won't go after Stiles, right?" I asked.

Deaton sighed. "I hope...Eichen House has an unusual history. It might not be all that safe for the Oni there, as well."

"What's the second problem?" Argent asked.

"I checked with your contacts in Japan. The Yakuza boss you saw killed by the Oni never found the scroll."