L

Heading into Boston, you hold Nick's hand as he drives, tracing patterns into his skin

Heading into Boston, you hold Nick's hand as he drives, tracing patterns into his skin. He looks over and smiles, bring your hand up to his mouth to place a gentle kiss. "Have I told you today that you look beautiful?"

"Not in the last hour, no." You giggle as you look out the window. You loved visiting Boston; Nick's parents were great and welcoming. But this weekend was a little bit different. It was Nick's 20th high school reunion, and he was a little bit anxious to attend. And he wouldn't tell you why.

After arriving at the Vaughn's family home and having lunch, you went up to Nick's old bedroom to get ready. You set your hair into soft waves, romantic makeup on your face. As you applied the red lipstick Nick loved so much, you saw the man in the mirror, looking a little down. "Honey, you ok?"

He seemed to snap out of it. "Yeah, sorry," he shook his head. "I'm just a little lost in my thoughts."

"Is everything ok? You seem nervous." You went to sit next to him, taking his hand.

"Just not sure what to expect tonight." He sighed loudly. "I haven't spoken to a lot of these people since we graduated. I wasn't exactly popular in high school." He hung his head. "I was a nerd."

"Everyone thinks that about themselves."

"No really. Had braces, acne, bad haircut, the works. I played in the marching band, and I had a crush on a girl." He looked away. "Stephanie Winters. And I asked her to homecoming. She said yes and then, when I went to pick her up, she had ditched me for Danny Adams, the running back."

"Oh, baby..."

"I was humiliated and I never got to have a school dance. I didn't play at the football games anymore. That field just had bad memories." He laid back on the bed. "I don't know if I can face those people."

You laid back next to him. "I think you should walk in with your head held high, don't let anyone tear you down and show them how Professor Vaughn handles it."

"You're amazing, you know that."

"I know," you reply with a wink.

"You look gorgeous. Let's show you off to my old classmates." He stood up and offered his hand. You took it, your engagement ring blinking in the soft light of the room.

**

As you entered the gymnasium, you took in the decorations. Navy blue and gold, the school colors, but whoever put them up made them tacky AF. Streamers and balloons glitter everywhere, it looks more for a tween than an adult party. "Gosh, this is... a lot," you whispered to Nick.

He laughed under his breath. "It looks like something..." he stopped. "Stephanie." You turned to see a blonde with blue eyes walk towards you. You tightened your grip on Nick's hand as she approached but then you really saw her. Heavily made up, a tight dress but you could clearly see it was not made for someone her age but rather someone twenty years younger. She was trying too hard. "Nicky!" She squealed. You huffed as she went to hug him.