Twenty-Four

Alexis knew how she was planning on finding out who had called social services on her. She knew that it had to have been her mum.

Alexis knew that Christine had been against her having a baby. And she had been trying to get her to go and live back there.

She couldn't. She couldn't put herself through that again. She wanted to make something of herself. And living with her mum would just damage her.

She was happier where she was living with Grace. She was worried. She felt like it was too much for her.

All she knew was that her life was a mess. And she didn't know how to cope with it all.

Morning came too quickly for her. Tom had taken Lily for a couple of days. And she was thankful. She knew that her head was a mess.

The door opened and Grace walked in. She smiled. "Hey. I've made breakfast. You coming down?" She asked.

Alexis sighed. She looked to her. "I...I don't feel good. I know it was mum who did this. Who called social on me. I need to prove it. I don't know how," she mumbled.

Grace sat on the bed next to her. She smiled and pulled her close. "I know you're hurting over this. But this is going to be okay. Social services will see soon enough that you're the best mum for Lily."

"I don't know. I feel like maybe she's better off with Tom. I don't feel like I'm good enough for her," she said.

"That's not true. You're amazing. I see how you are with her. And I know you can do it. You are the best mum you can," Grace told her with a smile.

Alexis looked to her. She cuddled into her. She knew she had her sister. And she was glad.

***
Alexis went into school. She saw Tom and smiled. "Hey. How was Lilly?"  She asked.

Tom nodded. "Our girl is amazing. She always has been. Always will be," he told her as he smiled.

Alexis nodded. She looked to him. "Thank you. For helping me with her. It's not easy. And I'm glad I have you."

Tom took her hand and smiled. He kissed her cheek. "She's ours. Okay? And I promise I'm always going to be there for her. And for you," he said.

"Thanks. It means a lot to me."

***
Alexis walked out of class and saw Christine. She rolled her eyes and walked off. Christine sighed. She walked after her. "Alexis. Get here now."

Alexis turned back to her. She sighed. "Leave me the hell alone. I hate you. You are the reason I'm so broken. I know you are the reason that I have to social workers on my back. So I suggest you leave me alone. Or I will take out a restraining order against you," she told her.

Christine watched as her daughter walked off. She knew how she had messed up. But she couldn't admit what she had done.

***
Alexis sat in the crèche with Lily. She knew how it was all getting to her. But with the dark thoughts in her head again, could she stop herself from relapsing?