Chapter 12: Courage, Honor, and... Love

Matthew Casey's POV
---
We finish putting the fire out and head for the hospital.
When we get their I see Antonio sitting in the waiting room. When Antonio sees us walk in he immediately gets up and walks up to us.
"She almost didn't make it to surgery. She coded twice before they got her in.
She's still in surgery now. I've been waiting for news about her condition since I got here." Antonio says.
I sit down in a chair, and the others do the same.

---
30 minutes later
---

The doctor walks out and says, "I'm guessing that since most of you are in bunker gear you are here for a Gabriela Dawson. She made it out of surgery. She had two fractured ribs, a broken humorous, and her right cheek bone was completely destroyed. I know she was in here earlier this month for burns, but this time it's different. She isn't going to be able to go back to work so quickly. She will be in here for about a month to recover, and then I will asses her injuries again and determine if and when she will be able to return to work."
I put my head in my hands as I think about what it will be like without Dawson there.
The chief walks up and ask, "When can we see her?"
"Gabriela is still in critical condition, so you won't be able to see her until she's stable. Oh, but she did want me to relay a message to a Matthew Casey," the doctor says as I stand up, "She wanted me to tell you that when she woke up she wanted to talk to you. We will call you when she wakes up."
I stand up and walk out of the waiting room. I head for the truck where I sit for another 20 minutes before the rest of the company comes down and gets in.
We go back to the fire house where everyone sits around. We don't have a single call for the rest of the shift.

---
Morning time at the end of shift.
---

Severide walks up to me as I'm standing at my locker and asks, "Hey Casey, I was wondering if you wanted to go out for a beer tonight. Go get drunk and have some fun."
"I don't know, Severide. If I get too drunk and end up sleeping with someone Gabby will kill me." I tell him, "I think I'm going to get drunk at home instead."
He nods and says, "Casey, if I can do anything just let me know."
I nod to him as I turn back to my locker and grab my bag. I walk out to my truck and head to the hospital.
When I get there I go to the desk and ask, "Can I get an update on Gabriela Dawson?"
She starts to type on the computer when an alarm goes off. I watch her run down the hall and pray she doesn't turn to last room on the left, but she does. I take off running as she rushes into Gabby's room.
I watch as they start CPR...