Chapter 41: Apocalypse

"I love you, and I will." I say in reply.
She nods and I head out.

I get to the station a little bit later.

"Hey, how's Dawson doing?" Herman asks.
I shrug and say, "Alright, I guess. She didn't act like she was in pain."
He nods and turns towards the TV.
"Do you know when she's going to be getting out, any kind of prediction?" Jones asks.
"A few days to a few weeks. It just depends." I say as I walk off towards the lockers.
I quickly change into my uniform, and head back to the commons. I am about to sit down when we get a call.
"Squad 3 and 6, Truck 81 and 59, Ambo 61 and 79, Battalion 25 and 52, Bomb Squad 1, Anti-terrorist police squad 1, possible terrorist bombing at Chicago Medical Hospital. Suicide bomber, it is not believed that another bomb will go off, but proceed with caution."
We run to the truck, and get in. When we get in I call Gabby. She picks up immediately.
"Matt, don't get to pissed off, but I've already started to help move victims. My gear is in the truck, I'll need it when you guys get here." Gabby says when she answers.
"Got it, we are pulling up now. Come to the southeast corner." I tell her.
She replies, "Got it."
We stop, and jump out of the truck. I see Gabby coming over. Herman hands me her gear, and I take it. I walk over to her, and hug her shoulders. She takes her gear from me, and pulls it on over her uniform. As she puts her gloves on we walk over to the Chief.
"Dawson, you can not work this call. You should be in triage. I'm not going to allow you to work under this department." Chief Boden tells her as we walk up.
"What will I have to do to let you let me work this call?" Gabby asks.
Boden looks at Chief Jones and then looks back at us. Then he says, "Quit."
"Ok, then, I quit. I'll work on my own. Gear is mine, so I'll see you guys around the scene I guess." Gabby says. Then, she turns around, and walks toward the scene.
I look over my shoulder then we start to work. I grab a halligan, and Kelly and I head over to where Dawson is helping move debris off a man.
"Dawson, stand back, we got this." Severide says.
Dawson looks at us and says in reply, "Even if that's an order, Lieutenant, I don't have to follow it. I'm staying."
With that we all three start to work moving the ruble off the man. We get to a concrete block that's too big to move, and it's holding the man's foot in place.
We lift it up ever so slightly, and Dawson pulls the man free. She carries him over to triage, and the paramedics take over.
She comes back over, and stops beside an opening in the debris.
"Quiet! I think I hear someone down there!" Dawson yells over the noise.
Everything goes silent, and we all here someone calling out, "Help... help us... please, help."
Jones walks over to me and says, "Lieutenant, I'm the smallest one of us. I can get through there underground."
I shake my head and say, "Dawson's the smallest one of us. Go in with her."
She nods and they head under the debris...