Chapter 71: Names

"Alright, everyone back to the house. Dawson, you take over as Squad lieutenant until Kelly comes back in a few shifts." Boden says as he comes in to the waiting room from Shay's room.
I nod my head and we all walk out.
"I'm taking Matt's truck back to the house. I'll meet you guys there." I say pulling the keys out of my pocket and getting in the truck.
I pull off after the trucks pull out and stop by the pharmacy. I jump out and lock the truck before running inside. I grab a pregnancy test and go to the check out. As I am about to walk out with the bag that I had had double bagged Chief Jones comes up to me.
"Dawson, thought you were on shift. What are you doing here?" He asks me.
"I, uh... I came to pick up some cold medicine for Casey. He wasn't feeling to well." I lie.
"Oh I'm sorry to here that. Well, I'll let you go. I'll see you around, most likely at a fire." He says laughing as he walks in with his wife.
I let out the breath I hadn't realized is been holding and get in the truck. I pull off and reach the house a few minutes later. I quickly pull off the gun I still had strapped to my thigh which I'm surprised Chief Jones hadn't noticed and stick it in my car. I stick the pregnancy test inside my jacket pocket and walk in to the house.
"Hey, Lieutenant. Okay we've been talking about this while you've been gone. Who would be the two to go in with you on primary and the two to go in on the secondary team for primary?" Capp asks as I start to walk past them.
"Uh... Capp would go in with me James and Kyle would go in on the secondary primary search team." I say scratching behind my ear.
"See! I told you guys. Alright one more question." Capp says.
"I need to go inside guys. I'll be out in a little bit." I say pointing back towards the door that leads inside.
"One more question: If you were to ever get pregnant what company would you go to?" Kyle asks.
My jaw drops and then I ask, "Why would I be switching companies?"
"Well you have to be physically capable on Rescue Squad, the things we do like repelling and everything dump adrenaline in to your system that would make the baby's heart rate spike, and it's already a hard job for a woman t-" James is cut off as Capp and Kyle clamp their hands down over his mouth and pull him away and around the Truck 81 rig in his rolly chair.
I shake my head and walk inside. I catch Matt's eyes and nod my head towards the bathroom. He gets up and follows me there. I switch the sign to girls and let Matt slip in before locking the door.
"Ready?" I ask pulling the pregnancy test out of my pocket.
"Yep." Matt says.
I take the test out of the box and walk in to the stall...

---
Matthew Casey's POV
---

After a few minutes Gabby comes out of the stall and sets the test down on the counter, then washes her hands. She keeps her eyes down as she starts pacing.
"Calm down. No matter what, Gabby, that ring is yours. If you're not pregnant then oh well. I love you no matter what." I say hugging her.
She nods as she hugs me. A few minutes later the test beeps behind us.
"Ready?" I ask.
"Ready as I'll ever be." She says.
She picks up the test and looks at it. She sucks in a breath when she sees the result. I take the test from her and see the positive two lines on the test. I smile as I look at her. She smiles right back at me.
"Thank you." I say sticking the test in my pocket.
I press my lips to hers.
"I'll have to call and schedule an appointment at the OBGYN, and we'll have to tell Boden at some point." She says looking up at me with nothing but love in her eyes.
"We'll schedule the appointment tomorrow after shift. Wait, what are you going to do about Molly's?" I ask.
"I'll work there until I take maternity leave here." She tells me.
"Alright. You better get out to Squad or they're going to start searching for you." I say kissing her.
She nods and slips out the door. I hear the swish as she slides the sign over to guys, and then I walk out, sliding the sign to the middle.
I start walking towards my office when I brush past Herman. I hear a soft drop as something hits the ground. I quickly turn around to see Herman retrieving the test from the floor. He glances at it, smiles, and presses it in to my hand then walks off.
'Shit.'
I go after Herman and grab his arm. He turns around as I ask lowly, "What did you see?"
"Enough to be able to say congrats." He says then walks off.
I watch him walk into the common rooms, and then I walk to my office. I sit down and pull my phone out of my pocket.
"Herman saw the test. He knows." I text Gabby.
"How?" She asks.
"He brushed passed me and it fell out of my pocket. Also he says congrats." I reply.
"Yeah I just saw him. I'm coming in."
A few seconds later Gabby comes in.
"What am I going to do if the rest of Squad finds out? They won't think I'll be able to do my job." She says sitting down beside me.
"Hey, you don't have to be pulled off duty until you are four months. We don't know how far along you are yet. Don't worry." I say hugging her.
"Yeah, I guess so. I need to rest. My day feels like I've been doing everything backwards all day." She says kicking her boots off and laying down on my bed.
"How so?" I ask, putting my hand on her thigh.
"Shay went missing because her husband helped out CPD years ago when my brother works for CPD, I took lives today instead of saving them, and I was a paramedic and cop instead of a firefighter today." She says running her hand through her hair.
"You saved Shay's life and their baby's life." I tell her as I kick my boots off and lay down next to her.
"I guess... today's just been stressful." She says laying her head on my chest.
"Yeah, but with little spots of joy and hope." I say placing my hand on her stomach.
She smiles and we both drift off to sleep...