Chater 28: Missing Candidate

Christopher Herman's POV
---

I walk into Casey's room and ask, "You ready to get out of here?"
Casey nods and says, "Yes, I'm ready to go looking for Gabby. I can't imagine being in her spot. Herman she thinks I'm dead."
I nod and say, "We will find her and show her you are alive."
The nurse walks in and says, "Well Matthew, you are free to go, and I hope you find Gabriela."
Casey nods as he stands up and we walk down to my SUV. Antonio meets us at the front doors and says, "I think I know where Gabby is. Meet me at the fire house."
I jump in as Casey gets in. We get to the fire house just before Antonio.
He comes up to us and says, "Briefing room, and hurry."
We get in there and sit down. When we get there everyone starts clapping and whistling as Casey walks in behind me.
"Ok guys and gal, I think I might have a lead on where Gabby is. When we moved out of our parents house we bought a log cabin just at the edge of Thatcher Woods. It is a ways away I know, but I believe that's where she is at." Antonio explains.
Casey says, "Let's do it then. Is it accessible by a car or truck?"
Antonio nods and replies, "It is. We couldn't get a pumper or squad truck in, but we could probably get a few SUV's in. Let's load up and I will show you the way."

---
Gabriela Dawson's POV
---

I wake up on the couch with a hangover for the thirtyupnth time. I walk back to the bathroom and wash my mouth out. I change clothes and walk over to the shelf where I keep Antonio's old pistol. I grab the pistol and stick it my CFD jacket pocket. Then, I walk outside to the wine cellar and grab a six pack.
It had been two months since Casey had died, and I had spent half the time drunk and the other half dreaming about him and my memories about him.
I walk inside and shut the door. I lock it and put the six pack in the fridge and walk over to the wood box that I had gotten out of the cellar the first time I had went down there.
I open it up and start looking through pictures. When I hear a car pull up outside I walk over to the window, and see a black SUV with tinted windows.
I shut the blinds and walk over to the door.
"Get off my property now, or I will drop you." I call out as I pull the pistol out and open the door.
"Gabby, we just wanted to talk." Antonio says as he opens his door.
I reply, "I'm done Antonio. I have no reason to stay in Chicago anymore. I've got a major hangover, Antonio, so why don't you just leave?"
I start to turn around when the other door opens and Matt steps out and say, "Because, I can't let you keep on thinking I'm dead when I'm fine, Gabby."
I turn around and look at Matt. I set the pistol on the table and fall to my knees.
"This isn't real. This is some kind of cruel joke isn't it. To mess with my head. I was there when they called it. This can't be real." I cry.
Matt comes over to me and says, "Baby, look at me. I'm alive, you saved my life. I'm holding you right now, baby girl. I'm not going anywhere."
I wrap my arms around Matt and lean in to him. Im not dreaming. This is all real.
Then Casey says with a laugh, "You must have a pretty bad hangover for you to think this was a joke."
I smile and pull him closer. I look up as another SUV pulls up. The rest of truck 81 gets out of both SUV's and so do Chief Bowdan, Shay, Mills, and Severide.
I stand up and say, "I'm sorry. I ran from my problems when I shouldn't have-"
"You don't have to explain, Gabby. You thought Casey was dead, and he was for a little bit. You had the right to run. You were a woman in pain, and instead of taking it out on someone else you brought it out here. Just don't make this normal." Shay says.
Herman adds, "You are no longer a missing candidate. Let's keep it that way."
I nod and walk back inside. I grab my bag and put the pistol in the gun cabinet. I walk out the door and lock it.
"Ok, I'm ready."