Chapter 23: New Beginnings, Old Memories

I get out of the shower and walk to Casey's room. I shut and lock the door then get dressed.
I hear someone come in and Casey laughs then says something as I pull on my red V-neck. I open the door and walk down the hallway to where Casey, Otis, Herman, Cruz, Mills, and Mouch are all talking.
"... Casey, we've told you before. Guys only-" Cruz starts to say, but I interrupt him and say, "Don't even bother. I'm going out with Shay tonight. The stuffs in the fridge, and I'll pick up a six pack on my way home. I've gotta go, Shay's waiting on me, Babe. Have fun teasing him about that guys."
I give Casey a kiss, grab my jacket, and head out to my car...

---
Matthew Casey's POV
---

Gabby kisses me then walks out the door. I watch her go, and then say, "Gabby made nachos, cheese dip, and her mom made a spice cake. Also don't tell her but I already ate a piece of it, and I can tell you it was good. The beer is in the freezer."
I walk over to the fridge and pull out the still hot pans and set them down on the bar. I grab the six pack out of the freezer and set it down beside the food.
"I already ate, but that smells good enough that I'm going to eat it anyways." Cruz says.
I say, "Be careful the pans are still really hot. I don't know how she did it she put those pans in there over an hour ago."
Herman laughs and says, "She's going to have to teach Sindy that trick. She would be able to sit still for five minutes."
"I still can't get over what she said today in the truck. She got engaged yesterday and then today is a 'low point' for her in the year she had been on the company, but I think what bothered me most our candidate said that was the worst ride she had taken in truck 81. That's really how we sent our candidate off; placing bets on her that she won't do what she's doing. Guys I'm sorry but I think we should do something for her. I'm gonna call Shay and find out where they are." Otis tells us.
I shake my head and say, "Two things, Otis is right whenever we've had candidates leave in the past we always did something for them, but this time we disrespected her. Poker nights off. Otis call Shay get them to Molly's, but make sure she waits to tell her until she gets there. The second thing, she's my fiancé. Stop being so soft."
Everyone laughs including Otis as I walk back to my bedroom and grab my jacket. When I walk back out Cruz is waiting on me.
I jump in to my truck and start making calls.
When I pull up to Molly's Herman and Otis have already went to work decorating. My phone rings and I answer without checking.
"Hello, Matthew. I don't know if you remember me, but I heard you guys were throwing Gabriela an emergency party. I think you might need a poster picture of her. I'm on my way." Gabby's mom says then hangs up.
I walk in and Herman is looking for a big picture of Gabby.
"Hey, guys, don't worry about the display picture Gabby's mom is on her way with one." I say.
Then Mouch asks, "In uniform?"
I shrug my shoulders as someone pats my back. I turn to my side to see Severide with a bag of decorations.
"Shay sent me over here said y'all needed some help. Let's get to work." Severide says.
Mills takes the decorations as Gabby's mom walks in carrying a display poster of Gabby in uniform. She hands me the poster and walks back out. I start to frown when two men come in carrying a huge pan. As Otis and Cruz finish setting up the tables people start to bring in food and Boden brings in presents.
Then Gabby's mom walks in and stands next to me. She says, "I figured you might want a little bit more help then just a few fireman, so I made some calls."
People start arriving as we finish stacking gifts. Then my phone rings and everyone stops talking. I answer my phone and Shay says, "I'm on my way Gabby is right behind me so be ready."
I hang up and then hear two vehicles pull up outside. The door opens and Shay walks in followed by Gabby.
"Surprise!" We all yell.
I walk over to a surprised Gabby and hug her around her shoulders as Herman says over a microphone, "We felt bad about the way we sent our candidate off, so we decided to cancel poker night and throw her a party. You can thank her mom for most of it, though."
Everyone laughs as we walk over to the bar and Herman pours us drinks. Itake mine and kiss Gabby on the cheek.
"Why did you guys cancel poker night because of me?" She asks.
Cruz replies, "We felt bad about how we had made your last time in truck 81 feel. We sent you off like you were the worst candidate we'd ever had."
"When in reality you were the best candidate we've ever had." Herman adds, "You need to teach Sindy that truck you did with the pans, too."
"I will. Hey listen I'm not going to stay that long I don't think. I had almost talked myself into going back home on my way to meet Shay." Gabby says.
"Nope. Your staying, missy, wether you like it or not. It took me a good forty minutes to get everything ready." Gabby's mom says from behind us.
She walks over and hugs Gabby. Then says, "Scotch please."

---
Gabriela Dawson's POV
---

As Casey sits down I wrap my arms around him and lean closer to his ear and whisper, "When we get home I've got something for you. Shay bought it for me."
He smiles and leans back and whispers in my ear, "Then I can't wait to get you home, but we have to stay for a little while."
I smile and say, "I know I just want to put an image in your head."
I sit down in Casey's lap and take another sip of my drink. Antonio walks over and says, "So I guess its final. Your really transferring."
I nod my head and say, "It will be next shift."
"Oh, Antonio. Do you remember me?" My mom asks.
He replies, "How could I not. Even though you did try to keep both of Gabriela and I from becoming a cop and firefighter I would never forget my own mom."
Antonio gives her a hug and they walk off talking.
"So how'd he get out of the hospital so quickly?" I ask.
Casey says, "He is only out for this, we pulled a few strings."
I smile and say, "This was really nice, but I'm going to get out of here."
"One more thing, Dawson. You have gifts." Otis says.
I raise my eyebrows as Casey guides me to a chair placed by a small stack of gifts. I sit down and Mouch hands me one. I open it to find a photo of my very first day at 51's with Chief Boden and Church. Then, Cruz hands me another one. I open it to find a tape marked proposal.
"Oh, and I wouldn't bother getting rid of that one. Casey has a copy and so do I." Cruz says.
I laugh and they hand me another one. I open it to find my destroyed bunker gear.
"You guys kept this?" I ask
Herman nods and says, "You can't though. It's going to the academy. They're going to put it in the beyond the call of duty case. With your picture and a short description of what happened that day wrote by Casey."
I shake my head as Boden hands me another small box.
I pull the lid off and find a Beyond the Call of Duty medal. I shake my head and smile.
Otis hands me another small box and I open it to find a Medal of Valor in it.
"Is that it?" I ask.
"No, one more from everyone at station 51." Mills says as he hands me a bigger box.
I open it to find my helmet and a card. I open the card to find that everyone at the house signed it, even Connie.
"Wow, thanks guys. This means so much to me, it really does. You can't replace that last truck ride , but this is better than any last truck ride we could've gone on."
Casey starts loading stuff up in his truck and I grab the two metals and my helmet and put them in my car.
I walk back in to the bar and say, "Well, I'm going to get going guys. Thanks for the best seven years anyone could ask for. Next time I see you I will either be saving your ass or drinking."
I hear laughter as Iwalk out to my car and Casey walks up behind me. He says, "I can't wait to get you home. Here are the keys I'll stop and get the beer."
I take the keys from him and kiss him. I get in my car and pull off...