Chapter 39: Redemption, Conviction, or Chance...

One week later/ day of wedding
----
Gabriela Dawson's POV
---

Shay steps back and stares at me in the mirror, and I stare at myself.
"You look beautiful, Gabby." Shay says as my mom walks around in front of me.
"You are very beautiful, Gabriela. Remember that." My mom says as Shay hands me the bouquet of orange, red, and yellow roses.
My mom leads me to the fire trucks that frame our reception.
They have draped white silk sheets from the ladders and the trucks are at angles on either side of the reception.
I put my vail down and Antonio takes my hand.
We walk down the aisle as the music plays. When we reach Matt, Antonio gives him my hand and walks to his seat.
I take his other hand in mine as the preacher begins the wedding, "... If there is anyone that objects speak now or forever hold your peace."
A woman stands up in the back and looks straight at Matt and I. Then, Hally raises a gun, pointed straight at me, and fires.
Before I can do anything I feel the impact of the bullet hit me in the chest.
I put my hand to my chest and fall to the ground without a word. I open my mouth to say something, but the words won't come.
Then there's nothing...

---
Matthew Casey's POV
---

Hally fires the gun, and Gabby's hand flys to her chest. I reach for her hand again, but I can't do it fast enough and she falls to the ground.
I fall on my knees beside her. Everything is chaos around us, but all I see is Gabby. Blood pooling on the ground around her.
She opens her mouth to say something as I press my jacket to the bullet wound in her chest. Then, she goes limp.
I can't move as Herman drags me away from her and Shay and Mills start CPR.
I push against Herman's arms trying to get to her. He pushes me down in a chair and he, Otis, Cruz, and Jones hold me down as an ambulance pulls up.
I watch in silence as the other crew takes over CPR and Severide holds Shay in his arms as she starts to sob.
Antonio has Hally lying on the ground in handcuffs with his knee in her back.
Voight pulls up and takes her from him. He puts her in his SUV, and walks over to where Antonio stands watching them try and resesitate Gabby.
He screams and my head snaps to where the Ambo crew has stopped CPR, and the man says, "I'm calling it. The bullet went through her heart. Any objections? Okay, then. 6:45 pm."
I slump against the chair as Shay falls to her knees and Antonio hits the side of the truck beside him.
I feel the guys holding me down release me and sit down. I slowly stand up and walk over to where Gabby lays in a pool of blood that is staining her dress pink. I take her head in my lap and hold her to my chest. Willing life back in to her body, but I just feel the heat draining out of her body turning her colder by the second.
The ambulance crew loads her body up and takes her away. I sit in the midst of the aftermath for I don't know how long with tears silently rolling down my face and falling to the ground, mixing with Gabby's blood.
I feel a hand on my shoulder and Herman pulls me slowly to my feet. I pull away from him and walk towards my truck. When I reach it I get in and drive off to our house.
I walk in and look at the pictures we have hung on the walls. I turn and punch the wall to my right. Punching a whole through it in the process.
I pull my hand out and it is covered in blood where the wall scraped the skin on my hands.
I walk to the bathroom and quickly bandage my hand. After I finish that I grab my bag and walk out to my truck. I pull off and drive. I don't know where I'm going or how long it will take me to get there, but I can't stay here. Not right now...

---
Gabriela Dawson's POV
---

I am walking through a burning building, but instead of my turnout gear and air tank I wear my wedding dress that is now covered in blood.
I hold my arms close to me as the flames come nearer and nearer. When the flames reach me I expect to feel my skin burning like it did in that flash fire, but it only cools my skin as if it were water wrapping around my arms.
I put my hand deep into the flames and it comes out cool and dry. I step through the flames and the only thing that happens is that the blood on my dress evaporates leaving my dress completely white.
I come to three doors, and the first one reeds 'Redemption', the second one 'Conviction', and the last one reads 'Chance'.
A firefighter with wings of fire appears in front of me and says, "Hello, Gabriela. My name is Roy. I died a hero's death in a building collapse. You have came close to death many times, yet you keep doing the job that has nearly taken your life multiple times. Now, you died at the alter by the hand of your husband's ex. You have three options. To take redemption in heaven and leave me here, take conviction in hell releasing me to redemption, or take a second chance and live. Though, if you pick chance and they can not save your life you will not have a choice when you come back. They will weigh our souls and whoever takes redemption goes to heaven the other stays here."
I look at the three doors and turn towards the last one. When I grab the door knob there's a flash and then I'm staring up at the roof of an ambulance.
I hear the beep of a heart monitor then Tony says, "Anna, we have a heartbeat. Drive!"
I roll my head to the side as Tony starts an IV drip and presses gauze pads to my chest...