Boarding Titanic

Rose POV:

As my carriage slowly approached the docks where we would board the ship, the door opened and I held my hand out. My maid, Trudy, took my hand and helped me out of the carriage. I stared up at the Titanic, a little unimpressed at how it looked versus how it was made out to be. As my fiancée Caledon Hockley exited the carriage, I turned to him and stated, "I don't see what all of the fuss is about. It doesn't look any bigger than the Mauretania." I got an eye roll as a response before he replied, "You can be blasé about some things, Rose but not about Titanic. It's over 100 feet longer than Mauretania and far more luxurious." As my mother, Ruth DeWitt Butaker exited the carriage, Cal turned to her and I heard him say, "Your daughter is far too difficult to impress, Ruth," which she laughed at. I was used to this, my mother talking about me to other people as if I wasn't standing there. I hated it but over the years I had learned it was best to not complain.

"So, this is the ship they say is unsinkable?" Mother commented, staring up at it the same way I had done. "Well, it is unsinkable. God himself could not sink this ship!" Cal boasted with pride, as if he were the shipbuilder. After spending a few minutes talking to a crew member, I see Cal hand him some money before checking his pocket watch. "Ladies, we better hurry. Come along." As the three of us boarded the ship, I noticed third class passengers were cueing up for some sort of health inspection. I felt sorrow for them, just because they had less money than passengers like my family, they were forced to have brushes combed through their hair to make sure they had no source of bugs. As we were welcomed onto the ship, I stared up at it, putting on a fake smile. It was the ship of dreams... to everyone else. To me, it was a slave ship, taking me back to America in chains. Outwardly, I was everything a well brought up girl should be. Inside, I was screaming...