Chapter 23

You could barely feel your toes as it felt as if you'd been walking forever.

You had tried multiple exits, one led you to another bedroom that was on the other side where Bertha was still creepily guarding the door. Luckily she didn't hear or notice you open the room door.

Several doors led you outside, but because you were so underground the doors were glued closed by the snow.

Maybe I should just turn back

Your hands rubbed your shoulders as you turned around.

There's only one problem though

You bite your lip as the underground passage wasn't just a straight shot through the house. There were multiple turns and you had taken many of them.

These were the kind of places that were only meant for people who really knew the layout of the house.

And you did not.

You shake your head. I should be fine, I'll probably recognize some things

The feeling of being cold overpowers the shameful feeling of giving up.

As you walk towards a set of steps you breathe in satisfaction.

I think this is it

You climb the steps and lift the small door immediately. But once your head is out you realize that you aren't in Eren's room at all.

The large room is painted red by the Christmas lights that shine from the Christmas tree at the center of the room. Christmas gifts of all sizes adorn the tree.

And you blame your moth-like brain as you gravitate towards the heat of the tree, quickly closing the moveable fireplace that served as another secret door.

You stare at the beautiful Christmas tree as you regain feeling in your toes. And the minute you do your fists clench in rebuilt determination.

I need to find-

"You looking for my brother?"

You jump as you whip on your heels. Your eyes widen at being caught.

"Z-Zeke!"

You gasp as you take the man in. He stands there in his clothes from earlier as if he never even got ready for bed in the first place.

"I-I was, I'll be going now-"

You try to turn on your heels to rush out of the room before he can question you, but the minute you do your heart skips a beat as his large hand holds you in place by resting on your shoulder.

"Hold on Y/n, not so fast."

Your heart pounds as you slowly turn around.

Did he see me come out of the secret door?

He smiles at you. "I wanted to apologize earlier about that parent question. I was overstepping, I should know more than anyone how awful parent questions can be."

You scratch your arm as you shrug. "It's fine, you were just curious."

He nods his head. "You're right, but I'm not the only curious one in this house."

Your heart picks up pace and your eyes widen.

"What-"

"I mean my family, they're all so curious about you." He snorts as he continues. "Other than Historia, Eren, and I, none of them leave this house or peninsula. They've never met someone like you before."