No Regrets

"*I guess that's fine then...*"

I try to be nice and that's where it gets me. Not even a thank you and she was so nice before...of course now that she is able to process the changes going on I couldn't blame her for being so off put about everything.

I went back to Minato and gave him our first report on her. I wanted to get a start on getting used to it since I would be doing it daily more than likely. "That's where we're at now, not sure what it is she wants at this point. She did say she knows Itachi, or at least of him".

"Good, find out more about her. I'm not willing to just believe she's from some twisted reality or the future just yet". He had shook his head.

I don't blame him for wanting more information on her. It did seem unlikely that something like that would happen. None of us had ever seen time travel in our lifetimes. Anyone with an ability like that had been gone for ages.

"I just have to wait for the go ahead and I'll take her back to my apartment". I leaned back against the wall of my hospital room.

Minato nodded, listening to the sounds of the nurses and doctors outside of the door. Trying no doubt to see if anyone started any gossip about the girl and I was a bit curious myself, but not enough to eavesdrop.

"I'm capable of making this work Sensei...I can feel the doubt you have and I want to show you that this is just like any other mission. You have my word that this will work out in our favor." I was never one for words when it came to stressful situations but this was more important than those pointless emotions that I continued to shove to the side. What I would give to have lady Tsunade here to help us figure this out.

"Promise me something Kakashi". Minato-Sensei finally spoke after a very long silence.

I looked at him, he was still watching out the room door. "What is it?"

"That whatever she says, whatever possibly happens IF she is indeed from the future, you will not try and change the past to fit our wishes for the future".

I didn't know what to say, I mean why would I do that? Was it because she had said he had been dead? I suppose I would be concerned about the same thing if it had been me she said was dead. "I won't change anything. I will follow whatever path this leads us. Would you like me to tell you if I find out how though?"

He once again shook his head. "It would be better off I don't know. The temptation would be to great to change it for my family. Whatever happens is what is meant to be and—"

"Excuse me, I am so sorry but miss Sakura is ready to be discharged" The skittish woman bowed to show respect to us both to which I scratched the back of my head slightly embarrassed at the gesture. I never actually had someone show me the respect they showed the Hokage.

Minato smiled softly. "Thank you Nurse, you have been very kind to all of us. I hope you continue your career here, you're an excellent asset".

That made her immediately blush and stand up straight with a sudden determination on her face as she nodded and hurried off to her next patient.

"Sensei, how do you always know what to say to people? I would have just sent her away with a simple thanks". I was always impressed with how he managed to make people see the best in themselves.

He had chuckled and ruffled my hair as if I was a little kid on his team again. "You'll get it one day Kakashi, I know you still have some heart left in you somewhere".

I swatted his hand and huffed. "Yeah, yeah. Lets get the weirdo and get out of here. I miss my own bed". I put my hands behind my head and walked out towards her room.

"*You still have some heart left in you somewhere*".

Maybe he was right, but then again he was probably wrong. I know how to be kind but that only gets you so far in life and I had accepted that a long time ago. Yet again there's the reason why I was chosen as an ANBU, I had the darkness that they wanted so badly.

I reached the pink haired girls room, Minato-Sensei trailing behind me. No doubt ready to be the one to speak, she would show him much more respect than she would me. "Let's go weirdo, time to get out of here". I had said as I entered. She was grabbing her things, she looked a bit less beaten up with being up and moving but by no means healed.

Minato pushed the palm of his hand on my head and flattened my hair, making me glare in no general direction. "What Kakashi meant to say was that we are ready whenever you are Sakura. You are looking much better, how are you feeling?"

That changed her expression to that of not only a smile but also respect that the Hokage got from everyone in his presence.

She bowed her head. "Thank you Lord Hokage sir, I'm sorry for any trouble I've caused so far I'll be on my best behavior while I'm here".

He motioned for her to stand, which she immediately did. "No need for the formalities. You're going to be considered a guest here, I expect to see you often though".

I moved from under his hand with another huff. "I'll make sure she doesn't get into any trouble sir. Don't worry too much, you're plenty busy enough".

He simply smiled and let out a chuckle. "I was more worried about you Kakashi, you better be on your best behavior".

"What's that supposed to mean?!" I looked at him like he was crazy. Today was the first day in a long time that I felt like his student again, like the good old days when we would goof off and he would treat me like this. I felt a twinge of sadness over the emotion surfacing.

He just kept smiling innocently as if he wasn't picking on me. "Excuse my subordinate, he's a little rough around the edges but he means well".

I just continued to look at him. Was he doing this on purpose to show her we meant no harm? That seemed like it could be possible, but I wanted to shout at him over trying to embarrass me, but I held my tongue remembering what era we were actually in and what others nearby may say or think if they saw me freak out on the Hokage.

I cleared my throat and gave him a side eye as I looked back toward the door. "She's my mission, I know how to handle such things Lord Hokage, sir". Two of us could play that game. I could see the pursed lips out of the corner of my eye and felt a sense of accomplishment. I also saw Sakura trying to stay professional as well and that helped even more.

"I'll leave you two to head out. I expect to see you bright and early Kakashi". Minato said, giving Sakura a nod and smile before leaving.

I turned toward the door. "Follow me, you'll be sleeping on my futon until we solve this problem".

I could practically feel her eyes roll behind me as she followed. I really hope this doesn't bite me in the ass.