Two Faced

We took our time traveling to the village outskirts, following Minato-Sensei's lead in the usual formation. Nobody said a word, but the tension was completely gone, as if nothing ever happened back at the river. I wanted to apologize to Sensei for what I had done, but I know it would be wasted, he wasn't ashamed of my behavior. I know that he still wasn't keen on the idea of us all going, but he had no choice. If we all died...So be it.

We stopped again as night began to fall, we had been walking all day and after the events of the morning, we were all exhausted. The air seemed thicker and it was more humid than before, we must have been getting close to the village. I have heard stories about the hidden rain, it is under a constant rainstorm. How do people even deal with that?

Minato-Sensei turned towards the three of us. "It isn't ideal, but we need to rest here for the night"

It really wasn't a sensible place to stop and rest. We were surrounded by thick forest without any open clearings for what seemed like miles. It was a warm enough night that we weren't going to need a fire to keep warm and we decided that it would be best not to draw attention to ourselves so close to the outer villages.

The nigh was quiet but the sounds of crickets and other night animals were a soothing background noise to close my eyes and listen to.

"Who is going to begin guard duty tonight?" Rin decided it would be a good time to ask and I figured that it would be my turn.

I shoved my hands into my pockets and jumped up into the nearest tree, but before I could go any further, Minato-Sensei was beside me. "You all go ahead and rest for now". He said before taking off into the forest.

I jumped back down to Obito and Rin who were leaning against a large tree trunk waiting for me.

"I think Sensei is taking your reaction well from earlier Kakashi". Obito said as I approached them. "Yeah, I guess so. He hasn't really said anything". I responded with a sigh. I don't know if he's mad or not about my reaction.

"I'm sure he will be okay, but we need to really get some sleep for tomorrow, we won't be making any more stops before the mission". Rin chimed in. I shook my head in agreement, we had a lot in store for us tomorrow.

I walked over to the tree beside the one that they were leaning against and made myself comfortable at the trunk, the grass was damp, and I wished that I had something to sleep on. Being up in a tree tonight could be dangerous, staying low to the ground was for the best. Being near Obito and Rin seemed like a good plan as well, being separated would be careless.

I was drifting off to sleep when suddenly my eyes flew open.
"You guys don't think that sensei...went ahead without us...do you?" The possible realization was enough for all of us to jump up.

"No..w-w-way..." Obito always would stutter when he was stressed or worried. It was one of his tells. Rin lost her composure for a moment "We have to go find him...who knows how far he could have gotten already".

All three of us jumped up into the trees that we had been laying against and looked in the direction that he had been heading.

"I really hope he wouldn't do that to us". I thought out loud.

Before we could even begin to leave we heard someone coming from behind us.
"Where are you going?". Minato-Sensei appeared looking puzzled.

"We were going to find you...Sensei". Obito looked relieved to see him standing there, one less thing to worry about. Ofcourse he wouldn't lie to us, we needed to trust him.

"It's okay you guys, we won't be going any further". Minato-Sensei said sternly. "We need to turn back to Konoha...We have failed this mission".

We all looked at him with confusion struck faces. What did he mean? We can't abandon a mission...No matter how risky or dangerous. What was he thinking?

"But Sensei..." I started to argue.

"It is not up for discussion. I will take the punishment from the Hokage. You won't have to worry". He smiled. As if nothing was wrong with what he just said.

I couldn't understand. He was so set on going through with the mission alone before, now none of us were going. I looked over to my teammates, they were as confused as I was, never would we expect that from our Sensei...then again, would they have expected what I had done either? Maybe this mission had us all acting strangely.

"How did we fail if we haven't even started yet?" Rin said, a concerned look on her face.

"We have been followed. I encountered two shinobi from the rain village. They won't be giving us any more problems, but we have been compromised and can no longer follow through with a stealth mission". He looked ashamed, like it was his fault that this happened. "I should have noticed before we had gotten so close...who knows how long they had been behind us; we could have been ambushed".

Something wasn't right. Minato-Sensei never noticed two shinobi tailing us. Rin being a sensory ninja didn't either. Even now looking over at her, she seemed shocked. She would have noticed before both Obito and myself if someone had been there. Is he just trying to abandon the mission without us giving him grief? Why would he do that.

"We should head out now before we get caught, we are to close to danger here." He said. "We cannot risk ourselves any more than we already have".

Obito and Rin both agreed and turned to fall into formation and follow Minato-Sensei.
I didn't move, but I did plant my feet and draw my kunai from its pouch, holding it up and getting into a defensive position. "What have you done with Minato-Sensei".

This was going to be dangerous. I could already feel it before I saw the crooked smile creep onto 'Minato-Sensei's' face.

————————————————————-

Don't forget to drop a vote or review!
Love y'all!

I'm not the only one in love with Minato...right?
.........