Mistakes

The days seemed to fly by since my birthday, and I had spent most of my time working on patrols and doing favors for people around the village. I even managed to get a significant amount of training done with Guy at the training grounds every day, he was the perfect sparring partner because he relied so heavily on taijutsu. I hardly ever went on a mission where I didn't have to use ninjutsu anymore, so it was good to keep up on close combat training when I was home.

Today was my day off, I had been working to hard according to Lord Third. He had ordered me a day of rest and relaxation, he even suggested I head over to the bath house and take an entire day to soak the stress from my body. That didn't sound like a horrible idea so I decided after a long internal argument with my own mind that I would try it, what would it hurt to try and decompress?

I made it home and grabbed some new clothes and my towel. It had been some time since I had gone to the bath house. I think the last time I went was with Asuma, Kurenai and Guy a couple of years ago, it was their attempt at getting me out of my slump and although it didn't exactly work, at least they had tried. Looking back on it now, they always had tried to be my friends, even when I didn't want any.

It was completely quiet when I walked in, sliding the door closed behind me and going over to the changing and shower area. I hung my towel on the half wall beside me and stripped down completely. I rinsed my body off and taking a quick shower before getting into the bath. I was enjoying the fact that I could be alone for the time being, regardless of how long that would last.

I wrapped my towel around my waist when I was finished and walked over to the steaming bath, my muscles seemed to suddenly ache as I stepped in and submerged myself just past my shoulders. I could feel the instant relief wash over me. Clearly, I had no idea what I was missing out on because this was wonderful, I felt the tension in my shoulders and lower back undo itself and I hadn't even noticed it being there before. It was so silent that I could have fallen asleep in the water and I almost did, but as I was drifting in and out of consciousness, I heard a couple of voices coming from outside. The sound of the door sliding open startled me and I sunk down further with most of my face covered by the water. I wasn't wearing my mask, so it wasn't uncomfortable like the fabric would have been when it stuck to my face.

...

"I don't know, that's not what I heard." Said the first male voice as they walked through the door. I was ducked low enough that nobody would have been able to see me over the walls of the tub.

"That's what I overheard this morning! They just got back a few hours ago, it doesn't look good." The second boy chimed in.

I didn't know these two people; I had never heard their voices before. I'm not one to listen to gossip so I decided not to any longer. I stretched out trying to work all the aches from my shoulders down to my feet, I could feel all the knots loosening as I extended each limb. I wasn't going to be staying much longer if there were others getting ready to come in, it wouldn't be very relaxing anymore listening to others talk.

The two were still bickering back and forth while they showered across the room. I hadn't been listening at all to what they were saying, mainly because the water was so loud as it echoed through the room. I sighed as I heard the water finally stop, I guess it was time to take my leave.

"They said she probably won't make it, what a shame." The second boy said as I heard his footsteps through the water on the floor.

The first one was silent for a moment. "It's always hard when we lose medical shinobi, there aren't that many to begin with." He said before sighing. "I've heard that Rin Nohara is one of the best that the medical core has...She was even trained by one of the legendary Sanin, Tsunade Senju."