Goodbye Again

Two days isn't much when you're waiting for what could be the last days you exist. The uncertainty of the situation set in quickly the next morning and I was rightfully terrified. Kakashi trying his best to act normal, but it was clear that he wanted to spend as much time as possible with me, not knowing if this was it.

Despite the heaviness that surrounded us, we found peace in the small moments of intimacy we shared. Every kiss, every hug, every touch carried a weight of love and longing, a silent promise of the feelings we couldn't put into words. In those moments of closeness, time seemed to stand still, but then when they were over time would speed past us and bring us closer to the end of what was the most beautiful two days I had ever lived.

Minato had made it clear that once this was over he would be wiping everyone's memories who I had come in contact with, which made me happy at least. I knew that no matter what happened to me, Kakashi wouldn't have to feel any pain of loss. Time would go on and I would be placed right where I was supposed to be and everything would be fine in this timeline again.

As the final day approached we woke up as we did every other day that week, clinging to each other in my guest bed and not wanting to let go. We had to go to Minato's office for the final hours so that he could do what he needed to. I would be made unconscious as he wiped my memory, that way when I woke up I would be back in my timeline with no recollection of what happened...or so that was the hope.

He then would summon anyone I met which thankfully wasn't many people other than Kakashi's friends and would wipe their memories as well before doing Kakashi's and his own. He wanted to do the wipe of mine and Kakashi at the same time, but of course the stubborn silver haired shinobi wouldn't take that. He needed to see what happened and in the chance that I didn't fade away he insisted he needed his memory to help find a new solution.

As we made our way to Minato's office, the weight of the situation hung heavy in the air. Kakashi held my hand tightly, his usual calm demeanor cracking slightly under the pressure. I could see the worry in his eyes, the fear of losing me evident in every glance he stole my way, yet he walked in silence. I had no words to describe the feeling I had, nor did I want to burden him with more weight over the next couple of hours than he already had to carry. The silence between us spoke volumes, more than any words either of us said ever could so I just gently squeezed his hand in reassurance, feeling his grip tighten in return.

As we entered Minato's office I could feel the shift in the atmosphere. There was always a level of seriousness looming in the room, but this time it was much more solemn and I could see the same expression on the blonde man's face reflecting that aura.

"I hope you're ready, Sakura." Minato said, motioning to the seat in front of his desk for me to sit down. "I promise you won't feel anything, but I need you to be as calm as possible so that when you wake up you're not panicked. It tends to carry over much like being put under anesthesia".

I nodded. "I understand and I'm ready." I looked at Kakashi who was more stoic than usual. "I'm going to be just fine no matter what happens". I said it more for him than anyone. His need to protect me was obvious to anyone with eyes which is why he was then given a chair to sit next to me, because he refused to let go of my hand.

"I want you to know that if you do stay here we will figure something else out, I will get you back home safely." Minato moved in front of us as we took our seats. "That is my promise as not only the Hokage, but as a friend, Sakura".

"Thank you Lord Fourth" I gave him a soft smile. I knew that I could trust his words and that he would do everything in his power to keep that promise to both of us.

"The Jutsu itself isn't complicated. It will take effect immediately but you won't wake up for probably twenty four hours. Plenty of time for things to sort out on your end. I don't know when in the timeline you'll end up, but based on the story you will likely be put right back where you left." He smiled slightly. "Which means Kakashi will probably be right there to help you when you wake up".

I took a deep breath, nodding in understanding while he explained the jutsu and any effects it may have after the fact. Knowing I would have Kakashi no matter if I did fade away from this reality or not made the remainder of my anxieties start to disappear, Minato's confidence helped matters even more.

Once he was finished going through his verbal preparations it was time. I closed my eyes as instructed, focusing on the moments before the event happened in hopes that that would be somewhere close to where I would end up. Keeping myself calm with the warmth of Kakashi's hand in mine.

"I've got you...in every time period Sakura. I promise to always be here to protect you". Kakashi whispered against my ear, sending a swarm of butterflies through my stomach. I truly was in love with the boy sitting next to me and I wasn't sure if it was painful or a happy feeling. I knew when I returned this wouldn't be the case anymore, but somehow thinking back on all of my life with Kakashi in it, it seemed like that promise was always there. As if this was something that transcended time and space no matter the circumstances.

As Minato began the jutsu, a wave of energy enveloped me, and everything felt a bit nauseating, I made the mistake of opening my eyes and the world around me was blurry. The last thing I saw before closing them again was Kakashi's unwavering gaze, his eyes filled with a mixture of worry and determination. The room filled with a gentle hum as the jutsu took effect, and I felt a sensation of weightlessness wash over me. Images and sounds swirled in my mind as I drifted into unconsciousness, the last thing I held onto being the comforting presence of Kakashi beside me.

With a final deep breath, I let go of my surroundings and surrendered to the unknown journey, trusting that Minato's promise would guide me safely back to where I belonged.