Let's Go Home

Before heading back to Konoha, Minato-Sensei traveled to the nearest small village with Obito's body. In times where war is sweeping through the nations, it isn't unusual for shinobi to seek help from civilians for medical purposes, or even for helping them care for their passed-on comrades.

I was left alone with Rin while he was away. We had moved from where we had been, heading in the direction that Minato-Sensei had took off in. We found a small pond in a clearing and cleaned the blood from our skin.

I wanted to strip my entire outfit and burn it. I wasn't going to be able to get his blood out of my clothes and I had to wear it all the way home. It made me sick to my stomach.

Rin was sitting on the edge of the pond staring into the water. I wanted to say something, comfort her, or do something...anything but sit in this silence. I couldn't bring myself to do any of the things that I wanted. She was in pain, that was clear, we all were. But I was the one who caused the pain...I killed my best friend, our teammate, and the boy she loved.

...

We sat there for what seemed like the entire day before Minato-Sensei returned. He had a large wrapped bag on his back, he was going to carry Obito home, but we needed to do it properly.

"They cleaned him up nicely, we should get going so we can make it home as soon as possible, his family needs to be notified." Rin and I stood up and walked toward him getting ready to fall in formation.

It was incomplete without Obito. That thought stung the corners of my eyes, I was trying not to cry anymore, shinobi weren't supposed to cry. Sensei turned to us before we took off to leave.

"I know that this trip is going to be rough on the both of you." He was focusing on us both at the same time. "We need to be on our guard in case...that person...comes back to cause more trouble." He had no idea who that man was either. That somehow comforted me a bit.

We hadn't talked about the attacker and I hadn't mentioned that he was after me exclusively to either Sensei or Rin, although Rin probably overheard our conversation during the battle...I couldn't ask her. It wasn't the right time to bring it up.

"Sensei...What will we say about...the mission?" I was tripping over my words. What I really wanted to say was 'What are we going to tell everyone happened to Obito.' I was already accepting the punishment for killing a comrade...whatever that would be. To be honest I wasn't sure what would be waiting from me back at Konoha.

Exile? Shunned? Executed?

The last seemed a bit harsh, but I...murdered someone...

That thought hurt a little more than I was expecting. I knew what I did, but I wasn't ready to think about it in that way.

...

We had been keeping a steady and fast pace, trying to stay focused on our surroundings. We were not in any shape to take on any enemies, but if we were ambushed, we would have no choice. Getting Obito home was the new mission, that thought is the only thing keeping me running. He died a hero in our eyes, if it wasn't for him jumping in to save me, I'm sure I would have been the one to die.

Damnit why did he have to interfere. This should have been me being carried home.

...

We arrived home after only a few short rests, we again made the dangerous decision of not stopping overnight. This was more important thought, and if we stayed in one place too long, we could have been targeted.

It was late when the front guards let us through the gate. They bowed their heads silently after seeing what Minato-Sensei had on his back. It was common to see shinobi carrying their comrades' home in this fashion.