Goodbye

Rin was discharged from the hospital a month ago today; I had seen her the day before her release and was sent out on a mission the next morning. Lord Hokage had said that it was important that I lead the group of genin that were sent out on a recon mission, joking that it would be good practice for when I had my own team of genin to lead. That had made me chuckle in my own head, he knew as well as I did that, I would never become a teacher let alone a Sensei.

The mission dragged on for longer than it should have. We were to collect information pertaining to Orochimaru and his whereabouts. He had many lairs scattered throughout the Land of Fire and other nations, but we were focusing on the ones closer to Konoha just in case he was active in the area. After a month of searching and finding no trace of him, we retreated with less knowledge than we had left with. It didn't count as a failed mission since we were only looking for possible leads, but it still felt like I could have done more.

.

We arrived in the Hokage's office late in the night. He had been asleep at his desk when we entered, the three genin with me bowing before him as I approached, waking him with our footsteps.

"Ah, Kakashi. I apologize, it has been a long day." He said, waking suddenly. He stood up behind his desk. "I trust everything went well."

I nodded my head. "Yes sir. We ran into no trouble, but also, we found no trace of the target in the area either. He must have moved on to another nation." I motioned to the young ninja behind me. "My subordinates were quite helpful and acted as true Shinobi, I am very proud of them and their actions." I glanced over my shoulder, the smiles on their faces were well worth the compliment.

"I see, very good. You all did well, you are dismissed. Kakashi, I expect your report by the end of the week." He said turning to look out the large windows overlooking over the village. I could tell he had a lot on his mind, and he was disappointed that there was no information regarding Orochimaru's plans, but there wasn't much more that we could do right now.

I bowed to him before leaving. "Thank you Lord Hokage."

We all turned and left his office, parting at the front steps once outside. I never would be teamed with those three again, but they may have been the most tolerable group that I have worked with in a long time. I shoved my hands into my pockets and took my time strolling home under the stars, the village was almost completely dark other than a streetlight here or there. My apartment was a bit out of the way of the main roads so it was always a peaceful walk with the route I would take.

I got to my front door and pulled my keys from my pocket. I had grabbed them from the Hokage's office as I was walking out the door. I always kept them there when I would be on missions, it just felt like the safest place.

Footsteps...

I silently slid my body against the edge of the pillar next to my door before flickering out of sight and appearing behind the figure that was approaching, grabbing their shoulders tightly and spinning them around. "Who are..." before I could finish a pair of arms were around my neck.

"KAKASHI!" Rin screamed, hugging me tightly before letting go. "I heard you were coming back soon, so I've been visiting your house every night to see if you made it home yet." She said smiling at me in the dark, I could make out her features easily now that I was paying attention.

I sighed and let her slide off me. "That's very sweet, but you don't have to worry about me." I chuckled slightly, knowing that was a lie. We both know that I'm reckless with my own life, and with these long missions it's hard to know what may happen.

"I will always be worried about you, it's my job as your best friend." Her voice was stern as if she was scolding me. I rolled my eyes and walked toward my door once again, opening it.